Discussion topic: Second hand puck

This message was authored by Sheza+k This message was authored by: Sheza+k

Second hand puck

If you buy a second hand puck can you add it to your account or is it just easier to buy it from sky and if you can how do you go about adding it to your account ?

All Replies

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Re: Second hand puck

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Sheza+k 

You can buy and activate second hand equipment but in reality they are usually priced higher than it would cost to loan one from Sky.

Plus any second hand ones don't have warranty.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/buying-sky-glass-second-hand 

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Sheza+k yes you can by phoning sky providing the puck you buy was. Originally brought from sky before 23rd February 2023

after that date any found online are technically stolen property has sky own any brought from that date 

so be mindful of when the puck you buy was originally brought from sky

@Tim+Adams i wonder how the above will play out in real world 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

be interested to see the second hand market for these.

This message was authored by WelshPaul This message was authored by: WelshPaul

I have three pucks gathering dust in a box here. Only used for two months, I was going to throw them in the bin... Sky now allow them to be used by others? Might list them on eBay and try and get back my £39.95 back!

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

@CardiffMan1992 

Pure madness on eBay, they sell for more than Sky charge to loan one, even one listed at £80!

Of course there's no warranty on second hand so if its breaks you've lost that money.

Yes @WelshPaul if you got the Streams before 23rd February 2023 you own them and can sell, just make sure you factory reset before selling. And also make the potential buyer aware there is no warranty.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/buying-sky-glass-second-hand 

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
This message was authored by WelshPaul This message was authored by: WelshPaul

Yea, I know I own them. They will need to be factory reset as I just unplugged them prior to my account being closed down. 

I have no idea why anyone would want to pay £80 for a used puck, madness! I will list mine in the week, save on landfill. 👍🏻

This message was authored by Mrwrong This message was authored by: Mrwrong

Hi human,s don't wish to affend anyone.  If I was to buy a puck second hand or new and added to my account,  I assume I wouldn't be charged by sky as its mine . Would that be correct.  

@Mrwrong  Make sure any second hand puck you purchase was originally brought from sky before 23rd February 2023, any ordered after this date from sky. Is loaned to customers and cannot be sold on

other than the above Sky will only charge the monthly subscription and one off loan fee if ordered as new from Sky, don't forget you also need whole home subscription if you have more than one device 

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

I bought my puck for £20 from Sky before Feb 2023 so it was customer owned. I recently sold it on eBay for just under £80! I couldn't quite believe it went for so much but the buyer was pleased and even left me positive feedback. I did make sure I pointed out on the eBay listing that this was a customer-owned puck - most of those currently on eBay don't mention it at all.  

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Padam_Padam wrote:

I bought my puck for £20 from Sky before Feb 2023 so it was customer owned. I recently sold it on eBay for just under £80! I couldn't quite believe it went for so much but the buyer was pleased and even left me positive feedback. I did make sure I pointed out on the eBay listing that this was a customer-owned puck - most of those currently on eBay don't mention it at all.  

Well done on getting that price. I'm really surprised someone would want to pay anywhere near £80 for a second hand puck.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

Well done on getting that price. I'm really surprised someone would want to pay anywhere near £80 for a second hand puck.

Not as surprised as I was! It was over a year old as well... but hey, I'm not complaining! 

This message was authored by Dean64 This message was authored by: Dean64

Hi. I have recently moved house and in the process I have lost my sky puck. If I bought a second hand one would it just be plug and play with my sky glass or would sky have to program it? TIA

@Dean64 wrote:

Hi. I have recently moved house and in the process I have lost my sky puck. If I bought a second hand one would it just be plug and play with my sky glass or would sky have to program it? TIA

Pucks are logged with Sky by serial number so any second hand puck would need to be activated on your account and the serial number logged. 

The problem may arise whenever you cancel Stream and Sky ask for your original puck to be returned. They will be expecting your lost one so you may have to pay a non-return fee. This of course depends on when you got the lost puck. If it's one you owned (purchased before February 2023) then there'll be no problem. Pucks were switched to the loan method from the end of Feb 2023 and they are the ones which need to be returned at the end of a contract. 

@Dean64  First of all you need to make sure any second hand puck you buy was originally purchased by the seller before 23rd February 2023 otherwise you could be seen as receiving stolen goods as any order from 23rd onwards are loaned equipment and remain the property of sky (you are relying on the seller actually telling the truth about when it was purchased originally)

if you do get a puck ordered before the 23rd you need to call sky to link it to your account 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion