Discussion topic: Picture Intermittently Pixelating - Many Channels

This message was authored by FaviousM This message was authored by: FaviousM

Re: Sky Stream intermitently pixelating

This issue has started getting worse and worse for me over the last few weeks.

Watching the Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds game on Main Event UHD tonight and getting glitching/pixelating it feels like every fee minutes, sometimes in one part of the screen, sometimes another. Watched it side by side with the Sky player on Skysports.com to confirm it was not an issue with the coverage itself

Seems to happen on all picture types too, have even seen it happen on SD channels

Just to note this is on a Gigabit connection with the puck connected via ethernet with no other streaming service or internet connected device having any issues

This message was authored by DuckieBoos This message was authored by: DuckieBoos

I'm wondering if it's got worse since the addition of Sky Sports +? I'm not sure how much capacity they have on their multiplexes or how they have found room for these additional streams? I'm sure someone will tell me and others will dismiss this theory of course. But to be clear.... I only have issues with SKY branded live channels and nothing else. 

This message was authored by DuckieBoos This message was authored by: DuckieBoos

@FaviousM I can confirm that I tuned in just before half time on Sky Sports Main Event in UHD and saw it pixilate at the bottom of the screen as the players were walking off the pitch. I definitely won't be keeping UHD once my free trial is over. 

Yes, I saw the exact same pixelation at the same moment. And that was maybe 30 seconds after I switched on the channel after doing a restart of the puck via the settings menu.

So it's likely not pixelating at different times/spots for different people. Interesting

I've switched onto 922 for the second half as I only just found out about that Low Latency trial they are doing, will be interesting to see if it performs any differently

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FaviousM the low latency channels will require a very good wifi connection as part of the way the latency is reduced is by reducing the data cached on the puck making it more likely to have issues if the WiFi feed is affected by interference.

I suspect that is why Sky have opted to offer a choice to switch to "live sync"  or staying with the standard feed in the new QS030 firmware.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

The low latency channel was actually no worse (or better) than the regular UHD channel in terms of the weird pixelation that's happening

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Pixelation is awful on the cricket this morning

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Pixelation is awful on the cricket this morning

Which channel are you watching this on and  in hd or uhd?

I've been watching it since 11 am on the Sky Sports cricket channel, and selected the Watch in UHD. 
Have seen no pixelation at all.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Seeing it happen a little on the F1 UHD channel this morning too, not as bad as the football last night but still annoying

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Been watching it on 401 UHD. It was not great either with the football last night

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@lettice 

I think everyone should just tap in to a live stream of your puck as you seem to be one of the few people on here with a completely flawless Sky Stream experience! No lip sync errors, no pixellation, no Atmos drop-outs, etc. Have you ever had an issue? 

It's nice to know it works well for some people!

@Mister_Dalek We all going to @lettice house to watch live events lol. Just wish Sky would sort all these issues out sooner rather than later.

Just out of curiosity for the others experiencing the random pixelation issues, are you in the UK?

Just wondering as I'm in Ireland myself, figured it'd be interesting to know if doesn't matter where you are in terms of experiencing it or not

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Been watching it on 401 UHD. It was not great either with the football last night

That is the Sky Sports Main Event channel, you are watching it on.

Not that it should make any difference.

Can you watch it from The Sky Cricket channel and select watch in uhd from there.

By the way, did you ever solve your Hyperoptic broadband issues.
Do wonder if that is why you are having problems. 

Does your pixelation only happen on uhd viewing or other channels?

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
squareeyeschris
Topic Author
This message was authored by squareeyeschris This message was authored by: squareeyeschris

@lettice 

Do you think we're all experiencing hyperoptic broadband issues, whatever they are?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion