Discussion topic: Picture Intermittently Pixelating - Many Channels

This message was authored by DuckieBoos This message was authored by: DuckieBoos

Re: Sky Stream intermitently pixelating

It's a real shame that employees at Sky such as @Daniel-F don't  take individual complaints seriously. It's not a known issue seems to be a common phrase with them. Be it 1 complaint or 100,000 it's their responsibility to properly investigate and not simply blame individual customers. Interesting also that the dpd driver who replaced my puck said he'd had loads of returns that day! No 1 is joining the dots at SKY and customers are suffering. 

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

I have also been experiencing pixelation, notably on Sky sports live channels - golf / uhd / cricket

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Re a revisit to my post above that was directed more around comments on the Sky sci-fi channel.

Have been watching live and on demand from that channel last few weeks and not seen any pixelation or any glitches at all.

In fact, have not seen any such pixelation across the Sky channels the last few weeks, while specifically looking hard for it.

My pucks get a lot of use, but especially puck being very busy with a lot of the Olympic coverage last few weeks for Eurosport linear channel watching through the day along with using many streams on the Discovery + app.

Plus, plenty of other live Sport, regular playlist recording watching, live tv across the Sky channels and more recently watching during the last week a lot of streaming from the Sky Sports TV app on the Sky Stream pucks.

Yes the first day or so of the Sky Sports TV app for all those first EFL a night streams were a bit iffy for short times, but have settled down now.

Never saw any pixelation, as such, it was more no sound commentary and a few of the streams on the first EFL day ending early.

The golf and tennis and just testing for the rugby union, as rugby is a sport I do not watch, has also been fine streaming through the Sky Sports TV app.

As I said before, best to email VR with programme, date and time details.

You get an automated email straight away from that email address, so you know it's got there.

That has never failed for me. 

I often email the VR team about many things and always get a reply either within a few hours later if it's a more urgent programme or epg listing type problem that needs addressing quickly or within a couple of days for anything else.

If they cannot help or feel it need to be, they do pass onto the relevant Sky teams for reference or inform and always mention that in their replies.

In them doing that I have had emails from the other Sky teams on occasions with more details. 

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
squareeyeschris
Topic Author
This message was authored by squareeyeschris This message was authored by: squareeyeschris

I note that 'superusers' and Sky employees are the only ones saying there's not a problem.

This message was authored by DuckieBoos This message was authored by: DuckieBoos

@lettice i watched a lot of the Olympic coverage too without pixilation. I can watch an entire evening on Sky channels without it. But then other times it happens. But I've only ever seen it on skys live channels and nothing else. Some times only for a brief second. Blink, look down at your phone for a second you might miss it. Doesn't mean it's not happening though 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@DuckieBoos  I agree, It certainly happens as I see it myself as previously mentioned (contrary to the  assertions in post 49 above).

Similar to your experience I find that with my system it happens infrequently and is only fleeting when it does occur so I am not overly concerned.  I suspect some users have it far more seriously which is why they are so concerned about the problem.

If it helps I find that after a restart it tends to clear it for a while.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Hunter2660 This message was authored by: Hunter2660

I've been with Stream since March. When I first ordered we were with BT with max dowload speed of 17mbps while waiting for fttp to be installed (local company). Connected to the BT Hub with ethernet the picture was fine with the occasional pixelation. When fttp was installed in May the outcome was very different. With ethernet the picture is rock solid both live and on demand. We decided to go with Glass in the bedroom and again via wi-fi the picture solid, (though not used as much so I can't be 100%, but as yet no pixelation or other issues). 

So why do some have issues and some don't? Is it local problems with wi-fi? Actually do Sky have numerous servers around the UK or one central server? Could that be an issue if there are more than one server? Beats me. All I can say is I've had little to no issues with Stream.

@Hunter2660 sky are currently trying to blame my WiFi set up as I use a mesh system. Unfortunately for them 1 of the pucks is hard wired to their hub and unlike yours I still get the pixilation/tearing/green flashes on that too. Even if I turn the mesh system off.  When I used their WiFi 2 years ago I had to send Sky stream back as it was unwatchable. 

There's probably not much point in keep reporting incidents anymore as no one at SKY is listening (and that's probably want they are hoping that we all just get bored, put up with it and go away!) but the Simpson's on Sky Showcase pixilated on my puck that is hard wired to their hub at 7.23pm. 

This message was authored by DantheSwan This message was authored by: DantheSwan

I currently have a stream puck and have seen multiple instances of a green flash on screen most notably when watching sports channels 

I've also had pixelation when watching Nat Geo and Discovery

This issue was the exact same when I had a Sky Q box many years ago

My puck is hardwired into my PlusNet 1gig connection router, it's also responsible for my Nvidia Shield which I use to stream all manner of streaming services with zero issues 

It's definitely an issue with Sky, is not a recent issue either, it's been going in for years

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

It's a nightmare tonight on UHD Sky sports. Constant sound cutting and picture cutting  out for the last hour. Not great

I just had a huge show down with 1 of their "managers" who finally called me back. After everything I said she just stuck to the script "we need to go through the troubleshooting first" over and over again. Troubleshooting I've done multiple times. In the end I just shouted she wasn't listening to me, which she didn't like and then I told her I will just continue my complaint with ofcom and I hung up. I find it impossible to keep a cool head with these incompetent people now. They just won't listen. When SKY goes bust and is bankrupt "It's not a known issue" will be written on its tombstone and I for 1 will be there celebrating. 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Super+Anthony wrote:

It's a nightmare tonight on UHD Sky sports. Constant sound cutting and picture cutting  out for the last hour. Not great

Which Sky sports channel and programme was that?

That does not sound like a pixelation issue.
Really sounds it could be more like an intermittent connection issue on your wifi/ethernet.

If it was a broadcast issue, I'd have expected it may have got more traction on here.

By the way, have you had any about your Hyperoptic issues?

Do you still get the startup screen issue?

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by DantheSwan This message was authored by: DantheSwan

There is 100% an issue with pixelation and flashing green screens on the Sky platform, stop telling someone the issue that's driving them nuts is not actually an issue when it most definitely is

I had this nonsense many years ago when I had a SKY Q box and BT internet, many years later I have Plusnet fibre to premises and the same pixelation and green screen are still there

We also have a Virgin connection as our back up service and the glitches and pixelation happen on that connection too

The overwhelming majority of people with this issue are not going to seek out a forum to speak about it, they'll think it's "normal" on Sky because it's been happening to them for years

It's not your imagination or your internet, as you rightly point out this issue has been going on for years, people don't say anything because at this point it's considered normal 

There was glitchy audio on the HD channels around four years ago possibly longer, there was a 120 page thread on this very forum 

It took huge effort from the community and many reports to ofcom and it was eventually resolved by Sky handing out considerable refunds and allowing people to leave penalty free (which is exactly what I did)

I never could have imagined almost five years later they still haven't learned their lesson

What's really infuriating is people trying to tell you it's not an issue and your equipment is causing it, totally untrue and very very annoying 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion