Discussion topic: Lip Sync issues - Sky Stream

This message was authored by Si99 This message was authored by: Si99

Re: QS025 Lip Sync Issues

still no update come through for me so still on 1.2 and qs027 but "pass through" is still working for me and after a few days Eurosport 4K got in sync for the tennis, 

hopefully it stays that way for their Olympics 4K coverage.

sky sports on 921 and 922 are a lot better, the low latency does seem to make it 20secs or so closer to live.....

This message was authored by pauliem1 This message was authored by: pauliem1

This really needs to be worked out - being advised to just use PCM when you have a cinema set up is just not acceptable. There was no issue previously with Sky Q and apple TV works perfectly. I was told that quality was exactly the same as Sky Q when I switched which is clearly not the case and unless it gets fixed in the next few weeks I will cancel and use an option that isn't sky

Using Sky puck - new panasonic OLED TV and Sonos 5:1 system

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@pauliem1 wrote:

This really needs to be worked out - being advised to just use PCM when you have a cinema set up is just not acceptable. There was no issue previously with Sky Q and apple TV works perfectly. I was told that quality was exactly the same as Sky Q when I switched which is clearly not the case and unless it gets fixed in the next few weeks I will cancel and use an option that isn't sky

Using Sky puck - new panasonic OLED TV and Sonos 5:1 system

In case it is specific to certain brands of equipment - I had lip sync issues with my puck and a Panasonic OLED. Some days it would be in sync, other days it wouldn't. Switching between apps and audio codecs would usually cause sync to drift. There was no consistency to it. 

I tried different HDMI cables, going direct from puck to TV then eARC to AVR and also puck to AVR to TV, but it still remained dreadfully inconsistent whether the puck was on Auto or passthrough. 

I have had no such issues with an Amazon Firestick 4K Max, Apple TV 4K box or Manhattan T3-R Freeview recorder. All maintain lip sync without any problem on the same TV, hence why I got rid of Sky Stream rather than the TV.  

Re: Sky puck lip sync issue

I am still waiting for latest software update 

connecting the puck to soundbar  hdmi in then earc out to tv's arc hdmi port seemed to solve my lip sync on the whole but it does still crop up now and then. 

Sony kd49 9005xg

ht 8500 soundbar 

70gbps internet 

tbh the puck is not a great bit of kit and once my contract is up I will try and go back to virgin v6 box or buy Apple TV 4K and forgo sky sports uhd which is only real reason to bother with sky at all. 4K Dolby vision atmos is better on other platforms. 

I will also get rid of sky stream when my contract is up but got another year!

£46 is too much as sports in UHD is its only selling point. (I only have sports on top of basic stream package) 
plus it's super cheeky including Netflix at only 720p resolution not even 1080p.

Getting a few months apple for free was nice but does not outweigh how rubbish puck is!

i really hope someone at Comcast / sky is speaking with engineers etc to ensure next puck hardware is up to snuff! 

This message was authored by TechMaster This message was authored by: TechMaster

I hate to be that guy - but I am not having any of these lip sync issues, however I do use a soundbar, if it helps anyone my setup is 

Sky Stream > TV > eARC > Soundbar

Sky Stream Audio set to Passthrough

eARC settings on my TV also set to passthrough

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@TechMaster wrote:

I hate to be that guy - but I am not having any of these lip sync issues, however I do use a soundbar, if it helps anyone my setup is 

What's the make/model of your TV and soundbar? It seems that it could be certain manufacturers' kit which is affected, as not everyone appears to have lip sync errors. 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

LG OLED C2 - Sonos Soundbar / no issues for me now 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by TechMaster This message was authored by: TechMaster

The TV is a LG OLED C3 and sound bar is a samsung q900t

@Jason+Golding @TechMaster 

Great. Those LG OLEDs are popular so lets see if others with the same combo of TV & Sonos/Samsung soundbar get the same positive results. 

could it be as simple as arc vs earc and having the puck going into an hdmi earc device and not an arc device.....

Just to clarify my Stream goes into HDMI 1 on the TV and my sound bar is on HDMI 2 on the TV which is eArc

@Si99 wrote:

could it be as simple as arc vs earc and having the puck going into an hdmi earc device and not an arc device.....

It didn't work for me. Both my TV and AVR are both eARC supported, and despite trying various high speed and certified HDMI 2.1 cables, it just couldn't maintain sync for any sustained period if switching between apps/formats. All other devices gave perfect sync at all times via the same eARC connection and could switch between Dolby Digital, PCM, Atmos, Dolby Digital+, DTS, etc without issue. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@TechMaster wrote:

What's the make/model of your TV and soundbar? It seems that it could be certain manufacturers' kit which is affected, as not everyone appears to have lip sync errors. 

Certainly.

Also there were a couple of different lip sync issues. The most recent one that affected a wider range of customers does indeed appear to be resolved in QS028, but it sounds like the initial lip sync issue that some customers have long had issues with still remain and would certainly appear to be linked to specific hardware based on what people have reported on here.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Littletaffia This message was authored by: Littletaffia

After a few weeks of lip sync being virtually nil it was back with a vengence on BBC1 and Amazon Prime. My connection is direct to my Denon AVR as are both of my blu ray players and Apple TV+. No problems with them. Frankly Sky Stream is rubbish.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion