Discussion topic: Issues with Live TV on steam puck

This message was authored by Eddie1996 This message was authored by: Eddie1996

Issues with Live TV on steam puck

Recently became a sky customer and have sports/tv package with the Sky Puck.

the issue im having is when watching normal TV and also sports etc its lagging and barely watchable. 

ive reset the puck numerous times and done all the recommended things but didnt know if anyone knew something i didnt before i contact sky.

do the boosters work? I cant run it through ethernet as the router is upstairs - and the netflix speed test is saying its only operating at 11mbps.

TIA

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Issues with Live TV on steam puck

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eddie1996 wrote:

when watching normal TV and also sports etc its lagging and barely watchable. 

the netflix speed test is saying its only operating at 11mbps.

Given Sky now says 25Mbs is the minimum for HD, it's hardly surprising your puck is struggling.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Eddie1996 wrote:

do the boosters work? I cant run it through ethernet as the router is upstairs - and the netflix speed test is saying its only operating at 11mbps.

So that is indeed the issue, as it needs to be running at least 30 mpbs. I'm guessing if you run a speed test from another device like a laptop or tablet it gives a speed of well more than 30 Mbps?

The WIFI hardware used in these devices are pretty cheap, so usually you need a pretty good, strong stable WIFI connection for the stream to work correctly. I had the same thing, where the speed would be fine then it would drop to less than 10 MBPS on the puck, then i'd reboot it and it would be fine for a while. Seemingly the puck as a little issue i think when the wifi signal may drop for a moment and never auto recovers from it (unless your reboot).

There is a way to still run via an ethernet cable, and that is to use a powerline adapter ( cost about £40-£50). These usually do the job where the stream puck is having issues over wifi. Basically they are plugs you plug into a normal electrical socket. You get a pair of them so one you plug in by your router and then connect it to your router via ethernet, and the other you plug in by the stream puck and then connect the puck to that via ethernet. Also disable the WIFI on the puck, because otherwise it keeps defaulting back to WIFI even if the ethernet cable is plugged in. This is exactly what i did after a week of having my Stream and i have since had 0 issues running it via ethernet when compared with WIFI.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Eddie1996
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood Thanks for the response, any suggestions?

Eddie1996
Topic Author

@MarkGoldsmith thanks for your response! Only just viewed this after id replied to another comment!

thanks you for your suggestion. I had something similar with BT and never had any issues so probably what im gonna go with.

Hardware seems very limiting as like you say, laptop etc all get 30mbps.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Eddie1996 wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith thanks for your response! Only just viewed this after id replied to another comment!

thanks you for your suggestion. I had something similar with BT and never had any issues so probably what im gonna go with.

Hardware seems very limiting as like you say, laptop etc all get 30mbps.

Yeah, it seems quite a common issue reported on here with people that have home WIFI networks where they are using the default routers ISPs provide. These are obviously standard routers so aren't as performant, and whilst most devices can cater for that and the occassional wifi dropout, the stream puck just can't cope with that.

There are people that have it working with no issues with WIFI but they have tended to setup their WIFI network with their own purchased equipment which usually always offers a much better wifi network.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Eddie1996 who is your ISP?

Exiled in HH
Eddie1996
Topic Author

@Exiled-in-HH Hi, Sky are my ISP

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Have you reported your poor WiFi service to Sky... before you go to the expense of buying power line network devices?

Exiled in HH
Eddie1996
Topic Author

Not yet, was due to do that today. I found some old powerline adaptors so won't be outlaying money regardless!

thanks for that message

Depending how old they are ... current units have improved significantly😉

Exiled in HH

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

@Eddie1996 who is your ISP?

This is likely not as relevant as unless you are paying for Sky Wifi Max where you get an upgraded router they don't guarantee decent WiFi in every corner of your house ( the same as most ISPs unless they happen to offer a more expensive tier that comes with a better router.) 

don't forgot most ISPs don't really charge you for a router which is why the standard ones you tend to get are more basic. 

NOT a Sky Employee

Service get outs have changed with time ... especially with the chance to squeeze extra revenue🤔

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion