Discussion topic: Issue with playing program after pausing

This message was authored by Nick41a This message was authored by: Nick41a

Issue with playing program after pausing

I have had this a few times recently and wonder if anyone else has had this issue / knows how to rectify?

At the start of a programme on live TV I  sometimes pause the programme as I can't watch immediately. After a short time, say 10 or 15 mins, I press play and start to watch the programme. So far so good. As the programme is no longer live I can fast forward through adverts. This is fine for the first set of adverts, but after more than one set, when pressing fast forward, the set suddenly skips from that point immediately to the live point, often skipping 10 or 15 mins of recorded/ / paused part of the show. It wont then allow me to rewind and so that section is 'lost'. Really annoying!

Any help or thoughts gratefully received. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Issue with playing program after pausing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet? I did see this issue when I was connected via WiFi but my WiFi connection like most wasn't stable and consistent enough for the streaming platform so I switched to Ethernet and haven't seen this particular problem since (it's been 6 weeks since I switched).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Not something I have personally seen on my glass ?

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Organs This message was authored by: Organs

We are also having this issue. We only started with Sky Stream last Wednesday and it's been nothing but a problem along with other ones.

We are considering our options.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Organs you need to remember that you are not controlling a local hard disc but a server somewhere in the cloud. Simply dont pause for more than a minute or two instead use the view from the start option when you are ready to watch. To get the best out of Stream you need to slightly adapt your viewing habits because there are fundamental differences from a system like Sky Q that records a buffer to disc.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Dooble This message was authored by: Dooble

Sorry, but that answer is incorrect.

I am now having the same problem as the OP. This never used to be an issue and has only started happening recently.

This message was authored by ad+carter This message was authored by: ad+carter

I also have the same issue, pause the program for 10 minutes. Then after about an hour of watching it skips forward to "live" and I lose the 10 minutes. 

This message was authored by St+Crispin This message was authored by: St+Crispin

New to Sky Glass and having the same issue. I often begin watching a program and then pause for ten minutes or so to do something. On recommencing viewing all is ok then suddenly skips to live point. Using the watch from start option is not a great solution as I may have already watched half of the program. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet? I did see this issue when I was connected via WiFi but my WiFi connection like most wasn't stable and consistent enough for the streaming platform so I switched to Ethernet and haven't seen this particular problem since (it's been 6 weeks since I switched).

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by St+Crispin This message was authored by: St+Crispin

My connection is Ethernet and I have sky super fast broadband 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Have you made sure that the WiFi is disabled in the settings as well? Otherwise it has a tendency to default over to WiFi. If you haven't already disabled WiFi I'd suggest doing that and then rebooting by unplugging for a couple of minutes.

NOT a Sky Employee

I have taken your advice and switched off wi fi although I am not convinced that this is the cause as I have never given the tv wi fi access because I set it up from scratch with a wired connection.  As I was writing this, the tv was streaming live content (news at ten) and without any intervention, switched to the Home Screen (may or may not be related but very annoying regardless). 

This message was authored by satellitebadger This message was authored by: satellitebadger

Found this thread when about to start my own about the useless "live pause" feature that either a) shuts the puck down after 15 mins to "save energy", or b) allows you to continue watching but then randomly skips to the live broadcast.

Not very reassuring that people raised this issue ages ago and Sky don't care. This is supposed to be a premium product - it's certainly a premium price. 

Looks like I'll be leaving when my cooling-off period ends. Don't want to be tied in for 18 months to an unfinished product.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@satellitebadger Agreed it is highly annoying but unfortunately it is to comply with the EU legislation.   On live broadcasts I find it only holds on pause for 6-5 minutes but it is longer on catch up TV.

If I am going to be away for the TV for any length of time I rewind the programme by about 10 minutes and then let it run and it won't time out.  When I get back to the TV I can then FF/RW as necessary to get to the part of the broadcast I want.  It would of course be better if the FF/RW function was a little more predictable.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion