Discussion topic: Issue with Stream in cooling off time.

This message was authored by PeterC762 This message was authored by: PeterC762

Issue with Stream in cooling off time.

I have a problem with my dish due to a tree that isn't mine. I have looked at two solutions, one, relocate the dish, or two, move to Streaming. I am still running a Sky Q system.

I spoke to Sky who said Streaming could be a solution and after some discussions I decided to go down the streaming route. I won't go through all the details, but because I don't use Sky Glass and have a 65" LG monitor as my main screen I came across problems which caused me to cancel my order. This is only a day or so into my cooling off period.

I spoke to one person who asked me if I have activated the stream, which I had not, and she said then do NOT activate and I will pass you to the department to cancel. The guy I spoke to cancel said because the pucks had not shown yet up on Sky's system he couldn't cancel yet, I had to wait until DPD had confirmed that I have the pucks. He said that if the pucks were showing on Sky's system he would be able to cancel the order now, but wait until tomorrow and I will be able to cancel it for you were the pucks on Sky's sytem.

I called back the next day and got a different guy who said that because I had taken delivery of the pucks I will have to activate the streaming package first. Once that it is done they could then de-activate the steaming package and re-install the Sky Q system. Stupid or not......??

I was not happy about that as one set of people say that I should NOT activate streaming and another that says I MUST activate streaming first. I said to this guy that I am in my cooling off period and nothing needs to be done, so why go through the activate/un-activate as it's just a paper chain so far. His comment was that I should have not accepted the pucks from DVD in the first place.

Would anyone know what the procedure about this issue is, and if anyone alse has had the same issue themselves?

Peter

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Issue with Stream in cooling off time.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PeterC762 

I suspect activation and then cancellation is most likely to be successful: it is however probably going to cause a delay if you did want to go back to Q.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
PeterC762
Topic Author

Thanks for your input.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but what I don't understand is that my Sky Q system is still working fine as I haven't activated the streaming package. If it is working fine why can't it be left as it is and just return the two pucks? If the streaming package does need to be activated then what have Sky done to my Sky Q box system?

The guy insists that the streaming package must be activated and after about four hours they can de-activate the streaming package and re-install the Sky Q system.

I assume that the activation is done on my main TV which is a LG monitor as I don't have a Sky Glass TV. I have been sent two pucks that are the same. You mention that you have two pucks, one ethernet and one wifi; are these two different pucks or do each pucks provide both ethernet and wifi protocols?

The pucks have HDMI connector and HDMI cable, an aerial connector but no cable, and an ethernet cable but no ethernet cable. 

Sorry for all the questions. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@PeterC762 wrote:

I have a problem with my dish due to a tree that isn't mine. I have looked at two solutions, one, relocate the dish, or two, move to Streaming. I am still running a Sky Q system.

I spoke to Sky who said Streaming could be a solution and after some discussions I decided to go down the streaming route. I won't go through all the details, but because I don't use Sky Glass and have a 65" LG monitor as my main screen I came across problems which caused me to cancel my order. This is only a day or so into my cooling off period.

I spoke to one person who asked me if I have activated the stream, which I had not, and she said then do NOT activate and I will pass you to the department to cancel. The guy I spoke to cancel said because the pucks had not shown yet up on Sky's system he couldn't cancel yet, I had to wait until DPD had confirmed that I have the pucks. He said that if the pucks were showing on Sky's system he would be able to cancel the order now, but wait until tomorrow and I will be able to cancel it for you were the pucks on Sky's sytem.

I called back the next day and got a different guy who said that because I had taken delivery of the pucks I will have to activate the streaming package first. Once that it is done they could then de-activate the steaming package and re-install the Sky Q system. Stupid or not......??

I was not happy about that as one set of people say that I should NOT activate streaming and another that says I MUST activate streaming first. I said to this guy that I am in my cooling off period and nothing needs to be done, so why go through the activate/un-activate as it's just a paper chain so far. His comment was that I should have not accepted the pucks from DVD in the first place.

Would anyone know what the procedure about this issue is, and if anyone alse has had the same issue themselves?

Peter

You haven't said, but as you haven't activated the Pucks yet, what issues are you having that is making you want to cancel? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
PeterC762
Topic Author

The main reason is that I don't use Sky Glass, I use a 65" LG monitor as my main TV. The current Sky Q box is attached to the LG monitor, and in my ignorance I assumed that the Sky Q box would remain in situ with the changes applied for streaming. My bad!

As I am not using Sky Glass I assume that I would be missing all the onboard stuff that would be provided with Sky Glass, and one of those features would be the ability for recording programs etc., etc.

Because I don't Sky Glass I guess that I would have to use one of the two pucks that Sky sent me to activate the streaming package through my LG monitor. I was supplied two pucks that are the same. I understand that there are ethernet pucks and wifi pucks; is that so? If so I believe my pucks are both ethernet pucks.

If that is the case I assume I will connect the ethernet puck to my broadband router (no ethernet cable supplied) and connect the puck HDMI cable to the LG HDMI port that the Sky Q was using.

I have no idea what the system would look like if this is successfully installed, but my guess is that it would be a completely different gui which is likely to confuse my wife is not very computer minded.

I think I have backed myself into a corner that Sky are really not helping so I think it would be best to go back to what we know.

I still don't know why I have to activate the streaming package just to un-activate it a few hours later. The Sky Q is working fine now so what do Sky do to change that.

@PeterC762 Sky Glass is irrelevant to Sky Stream. Sky Glass is an expensive (not very good) TV with Stream built into it. Sky Stream on its own works on your existing TV. Both Glass and Stream have the same functionality.

In both instances, Sky Q is canceled and returned. 

Staying on Sky+HD
PeterC762
Topic Author

OK, thanks.

So the puck provides the same or similar features and gui as the Sky Q? Does the puck also provide a recording function as well? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PeterC762 

No, and no.

@PeterC762 

It's probably important to understand that all the Sky-branded satellite platforms are now legacy products of a pioneering independent UK company: Glass/Stream is a delivery platform for the Comcast Corporation which purchased Sky Group in 2018, and is destined to replace satellite broadcasting entirely when the current orbiting platforms reach the end of their operational life later this decade.

@PeterC762 wrote:

OK, thanks.

So the puck provides the same or similar features and gui as the Sky Q? Does the puck also provide a recording function as well? 

No, a Stream Puck provides the same features and gui as the Sky Glass TV. Neither provide a true recording function like the Sky Q box does. 

Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by PeterC762a This message was authored by: PeterC762a

Thanks very much to you two guys who helped sort my problem.

I have decided to stick with the streaming package and now have my main Tv and one other Tv working faultlessly. I have ordered three more pucks to complete my "whole house" system.

Best wishes to you.

Peter

This message was authored by Steve93 This message was authored by: Steve93

Hi Peter, 

We used to have Sky Q but now have 2 stream pucks, it's totally different from Q but but I like it, if you press the + button on the remote when in the tv guide it puts it on the Playlist for you to watch but you have to wait until the program has finished before you can view it, it can be slow at times as some programs take you to the relevant app,  Itvx is really slow to load, the rest are quicker 4+, Myfive & bbc etc.,

you can also Watch from Start on all channels & fast forward through adverts, the caveat is it costs £5 a month which I got 2 months free, you get used to it

its also a better picture than Q

people have had issues with buffering because their broadband speed wasn't fast enough has to be 25mps to work well, we're on Virgin Media 1gig which is well over, the pucks won't go over 100mbps

hope this helps

Steve

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion