Discussion topic: Inferior picture quality since getting stream. Had HD+

This message was authored by Garb1 This message was authored by: Garb1

Inferior picture quality since getting stream. Had HD+

Got sky stream 1 week ago. Had HD+.   Picture quality on Samsung Qled inferior. Anything I can do to improve it.  Over Wi-Fi just now but was going to hardwire. Help. I like no dish and less cables but want good picture.  ???

Best Answers
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Re: Inferior picture quality since getting stream. Had HD+

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Garb1 wrote:

I use all areas of tv there are quite a few glitches I've came across.    Playlist .....,channel 4....,subtitles....rewinding.    Aaarrrggghhhh...........  some resolved. Hoping sky can update / resolve issues 

@Garb1 Sorry to not reply but I had to go out.  Yes, there are many issues with the Sky streaming services.  You need to add the disappearing blue progress bars to your list. I recall Sky Q had loads of issues initially but they got them ironed out in the end so let's hope Glass/Stream will be the same.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Garb1 Check to make sure Auto backlight adjustment is turned off and Local Dimming is on picture settings.  This is the recommended setting.

Also some people prefer the picture quality when viewing mode it set to Vivid (I have mine on this setting). 

This message was authored by 75sky This message was authored by: 75sky

Hi make sure the puk is set to UHD in the settings if it's not that then maybe try the settings on your tv 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@Garb1 wrote:

Got sky stream 1 week ago. Had HD+.   Picture quality on Samsung Qled inferior. Anything I can do to improve it.  Over Wi-Fi just now but was going to hardwire. Help. I like no dish and less cables but want good picture.  ???

Set your puck to output the native 1080i on the video settings. This will let your TV do the upscaling to 4K on all the HD channels and is the purest output signal for most channels. 
If the picture quality is still poor then your TV's settings will need tweaking as there are no other output options on Stream other than resolution. 

but if you set the puk to 1080 and you pay for UHD content it wont play it give a message saying change your picture sitting to UHD to play content 

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@75sky wrote:

but if you set the puk to 1080 and you pay for UHD content it wont play it give a message saying change your picture sitting to UHD to play content 

Yes, but if the majority of what you watch is in standard HD then leaving it on 1080i can give you the best picture quality if your TV is better at upscaling than the Stream puck (which most are). 

I only switch mine to 2160P when there's something in native UHD that I want to watch. Which isn't very often as I'm not interested in sports and don't use the apps on my puck. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@75sky 

The theory behind this is that almost any UHD television (and particularly higher end ones) will have had a significantly greater amount spent on the silicon doing the upscaling from HD to UHD than the chip contained in a box to which Sky attaches a nominal £49 value.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Fair point but if you watch a lot of UHD content that would be a right pain 

@75sky wrote:

Fair point but if you watch a lot of UHD content that would be a right pain 

It is. Which is why I get my UHD content from alternative hardware. 

This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

Does anyone watch more UHD than HD?

@nmbailey wrote:

Does anyone watch more UHD than HD?

If all you watch is sports then technically it's possible to have the majority of your viewing in UHD. It's really Sky's only USP. 

Garb1
Topic Author

Many thanks to all who commented.  I've tried leaving settings in all options.   I don't even use uhd when available. Prefer hd version.  What I was thinking is would hardwired be better than Wi-Fi connection.    

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Garb1 An Ethernet connection is better than WiFi as it tends to give a more stable connection but I doubt it will enhance your picture quality.

I use WiFi with no problems and although my picture quality is not as good as my previous LG OLED it is perfectly acceptable (or maybe I have just got used to it 🤷‍♂️)

Garb1
Topic Author

Thanks for all replies.   Have already tried various settings on sky and on Samsung tv.   Just thinking the dish is a superior quality.    Worked in colour reproduction and thinking maybe I'm too OCD.   

Garb1
Topic Author

That's what I was wondering if it's worth doing Ethernet as I would be hiding cable etc.    the reason for stream is getting renovation done and don't want dish and cable complications.   I realise I'll probably forget about quality difference in a couple of weeks.    

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion