Discussion topic: I have Sky Stream Puck and Toshiba TV not working together

This message was authored by Tazzaster This message was authored by: Tazzaster

I have Sky Stream Puck and Toshiba TV not working together

I am really struggling I have a Toshiba TV and a Sky Stream Puck - I plugged it in and got a blue screen.  I know it works because I plugged it in a different tv.  First of all I went through all troubleshooting 

* unplugged for 30 seconds plugged back in

* pressed Home 1080 Home to get it to work

* changed HDMI cables and input

* the ONLY thing that works is repeatedly unplugging the power putting back in and then unplugging the HDMI and putting it back in and after half an hour it works.

I have tried everything but everytime I turn the tv off when I turn it back on I have to do all of the above again.

I know it's an older tv but it does work perfectly WHEN it works.  Tried looking for anything on tv settings and nothing.

I am pulling my hair out can someone tell me a quick fix please.

Best Answers
Tazzaster
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tazzaster This message was authored by: Tazzaster Answer

Re: I have Sky Stream Puck and Toshiba TV not working together

Update:

plugged the puck into my Xbox One into the set top box HDMI in and then an HDMI into tv and VOILA.  Everything working perfectly.  For anyone else who has the same issue and happens to have an XBox hopefully this works 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tazzaster try turning on the TV on before the Sky Stream that can help as one of the possible  issues is the Stream requires a handshake message from the TV if its old the puck can time out before the TV responds.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Tazzaster
Topic Author

It didn't work just tried it in hoping it would work but still blue screen 😔

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tazzaster do other devices connected by HDMI work on the TV.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Tazzaster
Topic Author

Yeah no issues with both HDMI ports I also have a Amazon firestick that works perfectly  

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Tazzaster does the TV support HDMI 2.0? 

Tazzaster
Topic Author

Yes I assume so as it does work eventually after trying a few times and once it is on it works perfectly it just takes half an hour of unplugging and plugging to get it to that point

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Tazzaster is it the same on all HDMI ports and have you tried the Puck on another TV? 

Tazzaster
Topic Author

All ports does exactly the same thing and I tried the puck on another tv and it works fine (probably because it's a newer tv). Just wish there was a way to get it connected once and for all.  Hating that it takes so long and many tries.  But as I said when it does work and connect it's perfect.

So it's definitely not the Puck so I'd imagine that it's your TV having issues handshaking and authenticating the HDMI connection. This might be because the Puck uses HDMI 2.0. It's supposed to be backwards compatible but your TV may not be playing nicely with it. 

Tazzaster
Topic Author

So sad I may just need a new tv 

@Tazzaster yup but on the plus side, you can have a new TV...

Our old TV was 4k but only supported HDR10 and my wife wouldn't let me buy a new one as the old one still worked... I was elated when it randomly died and I could buy a Samsung QLED 🤣

She can even tell the difference so it's definitely a good TV and under £900 for a 55"... Have a look at Marks Electrical but if you have an Atmos soundbar and use eARC, buy a HDMI 2.1 cable. They're only around a tenner... 👌

Tazzaster
Topic Author

Definitely time for shopping I think - thanks for the heads up 

Tazzaster
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tazzaster This message was authored by: Tazzaster Answer

Update:

plugged the puck into my Xbox One into the set top box HDMI in and then an HDMI into tv and VOILA.  Everything working perfectly.  For anyone else who has the same issue and happens to have an XBox hopefully this works 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion