Discussion topic: Catch Up and +1 TV with Stream

This message was authored by Skycat992 This message was authored by: Skycat992

Catch Up and +1 TV with Stream

I've come back to Sky after cancelling back in 2006 and just signed up to Sky Stream with 2 pucks on 2 TVs.

It works really well for me, the incoming fibre connection is 900Mbps and I get 400Mbps on the main puck (it's right next to the WiFi AP) and 125 Mbps on the other according to the Netflix speedtest so all working ok for UHD 4K.

Is there any way to get Catch Up and/or +1 on the main Freeview TV channels like BBC and ITV without having to use the Sky Go App ? For example at 7pm I like to watch the ITV local news which started at 6pm then continue watching the ITV national news which started at 6:30pm. I can do this by watching ITV Freeview channel 35 direct on the TV but it would be really good to be able to use a single remote and get it all through the Sky Stream service.

If it can only be done through the Sky Go App is it possible to install the Sky Go App as an app in Sky Stream like Netflix, iPlayer etc.?

All Replies

This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

Re: Catch Up and +1 TV with Stream

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Skycat992 

Sky Stream doesn't have +1 channels because most content is available via the apps.

Unfortunately you can't add apps to Stream.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
Skycat992
Topic Author

I realise it doesnt have Catch Up Channels but as Sky Stream already includes the ability  to launch various Apps such iPlayer, Netflix, ITVX etc. there should be nothing to stop Sky adding Sky Go as an App that can be launched from within  Sky Stream  as it would make it easy to do what I currently do on Freeview. Yes, I can access all the Sky content that is live or on demand in Sky Stream but it shouldn't be difficult for Sky to add the Sky Go App's 7 day Catch Up functionality to Sky Stream.

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

+1 channels not needed as every channel has a watch from start option 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
Skycat992
Topic Author

Yes provided you start watching before the program ends. What it lacks is the ability to go to the Programme Guide and look back up to 7 days. BT TV does this and also allows the launch of the Apps from within the programme guide so if BT can do it why not Sky?

We turn on at 7pm to watch the local news program that ended at 6:30pm and continues with the national news that started at 6:30pm.

Sky Stream is very good but it is unable to replace the Freeview features of +1 or 7 day Catch Up but if the Sky Go App functionality of 7 day Catch Up on ALL channels was implemented it would be even better.

This message was authored by Enrvuk This message was authored by: Enrvuk

This is a fairly glaring oversight. So far I find sky streaming very underwhelming. 

This message was authored by JohnDoePal This message was authored by: JohnDoePal

Re: Catch Up and +1 TV with Stream.

The conversation by user's is totally apt! Need the capability to have +1 TV once programme has finished, in addition to restart. Very poor service especially as older sky systems used to have +1TV capability!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JohnDoePal wrote:

older sky systems used to have +1TV capability!

Yes, because those were/are broadcast satellite platforms and so fundamentally different to Glass/Stream.

Populating +1 'channels' on a streaming service would be an entirely unnecessary duplication of server load and bandwidth consumption for the provider, and as such is extremely unlikely ever to be implemented.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Skycat992
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood You wrote that Populating +1 'channels' on a streaming service would be an entirely unnecessary duplication of server load and bandwidth consumption for the provider, and as such is extremely unlikely ever to be implemented. 

I'm sorry to say that is not an answer and to say it is an unnecessary duplication of server load etc. is just utter nonsense because how else do you propose to access a programme in the way I first described in my original post? It cannot be done so therefore it's a  feature missing from Sky Stream.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Skycat992 wrote:

how else do you propose to access a programme in the way I first described in my original post? It cannot be done so therefore it's a  feature missing from Sky Stream.

I don't recall proposing that at all.

A Stream puck cannot used in the bath either, because  the system was not designed to be waterproof.

Some use cases simply won't be catered for.

Skycat992
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood What a ridiculous and stupid comparison, you simply cannot defend the lack of this feature which should be there.

@Skycat992 wrote:

you simply cannot defend the lack of this feature which should be there.

I'm 'defending' nothing: I'm stating that provision of +1 'channels' was not in the Glass/Stream platform design specification, and for the reason I gave is very unlikely ever to be so.

Skycat992
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood Well maybe Sky should consider adding it because it is a glaring omission.

@Skycat992 wrote:

it is a glaring omission.

For your particular use case, yes, but I'm afraid that's unlikely to over-rule the lengthy technical and commercial reasoning which I'd suggest we can assume went into the process of arriving at the current product.

Skycat992
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood I would suggest my use model is not unique and if Sky want to offer more than their competition then implementing a feature set that offers more benefits will attract more customers rather than "a me to" product.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion