Discussion topic: Additional Location Letter

This message was authored by CornishNick This message was authored by: CornishNick

Additional Location Letter

Has anyone else had an email saying they're using their puck in an additional location when they're not? Says they'll charge an extra £26 if we don't stop.... 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Additional Location Letter

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CornishNick  The only reason this is likely to happen is if the puck is on a different public IP to the others?

Are all your puck using the same network and broadband connection?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

CornishNick
Topic Author
This message was authored by CornishNick This message was authored by: CornishNick

Have failovers and various VPN setups for work (I support a few companies and can't ever be down for that reason) - could that be it?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@CornishNick wrote:

Have failovers and various VPN setups for work (I support a few companies and can't ever be down for that reason) - could that be it?

@CornishNick  Possibly 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

@CornishNick  If the puck has a different public IP then yes, you'll need to configure all the pucks to be using the one broadband connection/public IP.

I don't know what routers etc you're using but you should be able to configure the pucks to use a specific WAN at all times

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

CornishNick
Topic Author

Does that mean we're not allowed to use our second network to watch TV if the main one goes offline? Is there any way round this?

@CornishNick  Yes & no,  

If you have a backup line and the main one fails all pucks should failover to the same network, howevr I should note I can't confirm if this would be an issue or not.

What seems to be the issue at present is one of your pucks is using a different BB service to the other, you need to resolve that 1st.

If all pucks are on the same public IP you should be ok.

CornishNick
Topic Author

I didn't think the pucks could automatically join other (even if known) networks? They're all currently attached to the same wifi from what I can see....  one's on a 2.4Ghz SSID and others on the 5Ghz one but thats all.... just due to signal strength at that end of the house

@CornishNick  If your using 2 broadband lines (you've said you have a failover) you will have 2 WAN ports being used on your hub, it is possible that one of the pucks has defaulted to the other wan, this is what you need to resolve.  Being connected over 2.4 or 5ghz wifi won;t be the issue.

How is the main line & failover configured?    

On my dratek multi dual wan hub they have a setting for always on or failover, there should be a similar setting on your hub, if the failover is always on the other puck could be using this wan rather than your main wan.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CornishNick wrote:

Yes, that's almost certainly what's happening: the pucks have been logged by Sky as being active simultaneously behind different public IP addresses, which in most cases would indicate use at different physical locations.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
CornishNick
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood @GD1 

Thanks both! I'll have a think of how to sort this. It's a little openWRT router/access point that flips between the main fibre ISP (via it's wifi) and the backup (priority on speed I think). Fibre wifi isn't so great down that end of the house so I guess it's failing over more than I think, and I just don't notice when using the PC. It will only be affecting the one puck in the office when used as a spare room.

Unfortunately something more sophisticated isn't possible as we have a VERY locked down ISP router.... 

Nick

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

this post got me thinking. The OP is clearly not using two pucks in two different locations, but the letter suggest if you are, the worse that will happen is you are charged £26? That a cheap second subscription if someone is on a full package and wanted to split it with a friend ??

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Jason+Golding wrote:

this post got me thinking. The OP is clearly not using two pucks in two different locations, but the letter suggest if you are, the worse that will happen is you are charged £26? That a cheap second subscription if someone is on a full package and wanted to split it with a friend ??

@Jason+Golding  it doesn't mean customers can breach terms and conditions which is what they would be doing 

I would also remind you of the community rules which prohibits discussion of ways to breach such terms and conditions 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion