Discussion topic: Is UHD coming to sky store for purchases?

This message was authored by Andy0757 This message was authored by: Andy0757

Is UHD coming to sky store for purchases?

I don't understand why whilst purchasing a movie via sky store UHD is not an option. Yes it is for rentals but not for purchase. Other steaming services offer UHD for purchases at the same price sky charges for HD. Will this be addressed?

Otherwise I'll be making my purchases elsewhere.

can you please give a reason and update?

Best Answers
Andy0757
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andy0757 This message was authored by: Andy0757 Answer

Re: Is UHD coming to sky store for purchases?

Hi @mike+simmonds I phoned sky today. Movies aren't available to buy and keep at the moment in UHD, it is however something they're working on and hope to have it available soon. 
They said it's a matter of paperwork and testing it all works. 
They are aware that competitors like Prime have buy and keep UHD options at the same price as Sky charge for HD buy and keep. 

so watch this space...

At least I got my answer. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I've no idea what the official reason is @Andy0757 - but my guess is something to do with the Sky Q platform having the ability to store a hard copy of a movie on a TV friendly box (where as most if not all the other platforms are streaming services)

So maybe Sky can't agree a licencing deal with distributors for UHD movies to be downloaded and stored. 

Would that do away with the need for 4K Bluray ?

Something like that ??

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

Andy0757
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andy0757 This message was authored by: Andy0757

Thanks for your feedback @mike+simmonds

Maybe your right, you can however store UHD movies that you record from sky movies so I don't think storage is the problem. 
Be interesting to hear skys reason for this. Maybe I'll call them and find out. 

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andy0757 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback @mike+simmonds

Maybe your right, you can however store UHD movies that you record from sky movies so I don't think storage is the problem. 
Be interesting to hear skys reason for this. Maybe I'll call them and find out. 

but of course the sky cinema movies are not brand new ?

you should be able to ask your question through Sky store live chat which opens at 11am.

Here is a good link

https://www.skystore.com/n/hcus/help/contact-us 

if you get a good answer, please do post it on here. I'd be interested to know. 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

Andy0757
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andy0757 This message was authored by: Andy0757 Answer

Hi @mike+simmonds I phoned sky today. Movies aren't available to buy and keep at the moment in UHD, it is however something they're working on and hope to have it available soon. 
They said it's a matter of paperwork and testing it all works. 
They are aware that competitors like Prime have buy and keep UHD options at the same price as Sky charge for HD buy and keep. 

so watch this space...

At least I got my answer. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion