Discussion topic: setting up sky q box after changing broadband supplier

This message was authored by SwarmCatcher This message was authored by: SwarmCatcher

setting up sky q box after changing broadband supplier

Currently sky  Q box is connected to a sky wifi router which is connected via wifi to BT broadband. We now have fibre coming into property supplied by a Jurassic Fibre - can someone explain how I go about connecting the sky wifi router to the new network?

Do I do it all through the main Sky Q box?

PS I have no user name because account uses my wifes email address and I don't have that set up on my laptop and she is not here currently

All Replies

SwarmCatcher
Topic Author
This message was authored by SwarmCatcher This message was authored by: SwarmCatcher

This customer service forum is a joke

How do i speak to someone at sky to resolve my problem - i can't believe the farce of being sent to a public forum for customer service questions

What a joke, must be April fools day:

is one of the 11 people that has viewed my post a SKY representative - if so why han't it been answered, if not why not - they state thats how it works

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: setting up sky q box after changing broadband supplier

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You don't. Didn't the fttp provider give you a router? You connect all your devices to that and switch off the sky router.

Re: This customer service forum is a joke

I will be polite even though you weren't. Your question in the other thread isn't really about Sky Q but you posted it in the Sky Q forum. Might have got more traction in the broadband forum.

Sky employees don't tend to answer stuff on here unless one of the superusers escalates it (or if no one answers after 24 hours it auto-escalates), at which point they tend to use a chat mechanism.

You can get through to them on the phone, you don't have to come here.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: This customer service forum is a joke

@SwarmCatcher 

I have merged your two threads together to give some continuity and I've moved them to the Broadband board. 

If you need to call Sky then if you already have a Sky Mobile or a Sky Talk landline call free by dialling 150, otherwise you can use:
https://www.sky.com/help/home
UK: Scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides a 0333 number.
ROI: change the flag in the bottom right corner of the link to the ROI flag then scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides a 0818 number.
(The forum doesn’t allow us to type the numbers in full).

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
SwarmCatcher
Topic Author

I am not familiar with the terminology required so probably have not explained sufficiently whilst having to write in a public forum rather that to speak directly with a SKY customer service representative.

I am not a fast typer and dont understand why I have been pushed into this route.

I dont have broadband with sky and never have had - I think I stated it was with BT and is now with Jurassic.

My question was how to swap the providers on Qbox - I cant find anything about it on the SKY website nor on the sky forum.

The Qbox is not directly connected to a router my understanding is its connected to a SKY white box which is not directly connected to anything so is presumably connected to my BT router  via wifi and i want to change this connection so that it utilises the new service providers router via wifi.

BUT I'm no expert on the matter hence vtrying to find out on the SKY website, then by trying to contact customer service and now ending up here - what a great time waster it all is.

I dont understand why I would need to ask about it on the Broadband section as I don't purchase a broadband service from SKY - ofcourse a SKY customer service representative would know this.

If you think i'm being rude you have no idea of the level of restraint i have shown - it is absurd that i have to waste my time typing into an open public forum for a matter concerning myself and SKY.

I think its absurd that I pay for a service and have to rely on people using a public forum for answers that should be easily accessible. I don't expect any user other than a SKY employee to be dealing with my issue. Why should either Chodley or any other user bother looking at my issue and then reply to it unless they are a SKY employee paid to do so  - I'm sure on the SKY site they indicated that SKY employees would deal with issues unresolved which they have not done so far. 

Thankyou Daniel0210 I have called SKY on the 0333 number and got sent a text telling me to head to sky.com/qforum which is where I believe I posted initially although its quite possible that after all the faffying about of having to create a user identioty it was posted in another forum section - I have no idea. Hence my complete frustration with a "customer service" service that is non existent, and in no way designed to assist me.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@SwarmCatcher 

When calling Sky I've never had a problem speaking to a customer service agent. Just persevere on the phone. If it offers to send you a text decline and hold on the line although there may be a queue. Hundreds if not thousands get through each day. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@SwarmCatcher As Sky are not your broadband provider try these steps https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-tv/sky-tv-q/setting-up-sky-q/set-up-sky-q-box/articles/setting-up-...

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@SwarmCatcher The important point is that you no longer need the white Sky router. You connect the Sky Q box to your new router provided by Jurassic. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Thanks for the elaboration. That white box is a booster. Is your router location (either the old BT one or the new one) quite a long way, 2 rooms or more, from the Q box?

If so I would keep the booster. You'll need to reconnect the booster to your new routerhttps://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-wifi-booster-q-booster-what-do-you-need-help-with

then it might just start working but possibly you'll need to set up the Q connection to the booster again.

"it is absurd that i have to waste my time typing into an open public forum for a matter concerning myself and SKY."

you don't - like I said you can just call them, but like many companies they'll try to divert you to self- or community- online help first because frankly it's cheaper for them.

SwarmCatcher
Topic Author

Just wrote a reply to this, but as I was not signed in it was discarded so this may not be as comprehensive.

I eventually decided to just proceed in a logical manner but had problems, luckily I eventually came across a technical help number in the sky q box settings, which I rang (removed) and got to speak to someone.

This was a 2 step process as initial contact needed to refer me to someone else.

We went through various steps including disconnection of the cable connection between main SKY box and BT router, connecting then via 5GHz. We moved the Jurassic booster further away from the SKY booster, this I understand improved the signal but it was still dropping out, so it was arranged that a SKY service technician would attend. 
He added another extender, reconnected direct connection between main sky Q and the BT router to be changed to Jurassic router later (when its not tipping it down because it needs an external lead extension).

So all in all probably not something the SKY Community could help with.

It does frustrate me that there was no easy access to a number to call SKY for assistance and that the number I initially found and used pushed me into using the community forum - I consider it to be a real waste of my time and the communities time as well.

However, I would like to thank those of you that tried to assist me: THANK YOU to you all (I would tag you all individually but cant see your posts without leaving this page)

(removed)

Moderator note: Removed phone details

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion