Discussion topic: What works on a Sky Q box without a subscription

This message was authored by Stockylocky This message was authored by: Stockylocky

What works on a Sky Q box without a subscription

Hi, 

How would a Sky Q box work without a subscription? What things would work and what wouldn't? Recording, pausing live tv, things on demand?

I am thinking of taking a break from Sky because of cost and I know I'll need to send back the box as it's only rented but I've seen some on eBay to buy.

Just wondering if it's an option to use it to watch free to air tv or is it best for me to get a Freesat box?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: What works on a Sky Q box without a subscription

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Stockylocky wrote:

but I've seen some on eBay to buy. 

@Stockylocky 

Those are stolen property. The previous users of those boxes will have been chased by Sky for their return, will have had to at least pay a non return fee and the boxes will have been disabled by Sky so are worthless. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Hi @MightyQuinn  As a footnote to @MightyQuinn  post, SKYQ equipment for sale on third party sites are stolen property as they should have been returned to SKY, and would not have worked as they would have been blocked by SKY.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Stockylocky wrote:

I am thinking of taking a break from Sky because of cost and I know I'll need to send back the box as it's only rented but I've seen some on eBay to buy.

Any Sky Q equipment you might see on ebay is essentially stolen property (and won’t work anyway).

Stockylocky
Topic Author
This message was authored by Stockylocky This message was authored by: Stockylocky

Ok thanks for your help, all I needed to know 👍🏼

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Stockylocky

Just to add that as a direct result of the business model described above, a Q box has zero non-subscription functionality.  

It's also important to know that an HD Freesat box will not receive a signal with a standard Q LNB on the satellite dish: the 'Freesat 4K' branded hardware is OK.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by KLB510 This message was authored by: KLB510

@Stockylocky can I jump on this post and ask questiom. You say the 4k freesat box is OK. Does that mean it works with a skyQ dish? 

Stockylocky
Topic Author

Hi, yep just plug it in to existing cables and it works well. Remote isn't as good as Sky Q's but you get used to it

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion