Discussion topic: Using Sky Q Remote to turn on TV (Sony KE-48A9)

This message was authored by Rob+Newbould This message was authored by: Rob+Newbould

Using Sky Q Remote to turn on TV (Sony KE-48A9)

My Sky Q box recently installed by Sky Engineer, and he paired that with my Sony  TV KE-48A9 enabling me to just use the Sky Q remote.

To switch off I hold the button on a long press of 3 seconds and both TV & Q box switch off/ go into stand-by which is great.

The problem I am having is switching them both on. Whether I use a short or long press the Sky Q box comes on OK but my TV flickers 3 or 4 times as if still trying to action the instruction, before eventually switching on with a stable and normal picture. I am wottied this will damage my TV.

What can I do or should I ask the Sky Engineer to revisit to try and fix the problem?

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Using Sky Q Remote to turn on TV (Sony KE-48A9)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Rob+Newbould 

You should be able to turn both Q box and TV on with a short press using HDMI CEC control.

Check that HDMI control is turned on in the Q box.

Home - Settings - Setup - Audio Visual.   HDMI control on.

Also in the TV settings make sure that Bravia sync (Sony HDMI control) is also turned on.

Rob+Newbould
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rob+Newbould This message was authored by: Rob+Newbould

Thank you very much for the advice. 

I have  checked and the SKY Q setting is already correct as described by you, so stage 1 is good.

Not so sure about my Sony TV though. When I look for Bravia Sync it seems that for Player 1 and HDMI 2 is should proceed to "Enable"; that button being highlighted. Should I still enable that as looking on the Sony website that is described as being used when you want to control the device (Sky Q box?) using the TV remote, rather than the other way round using SKY remote to control TV.

Sorry but I am nervous dealing with this and dont  want to mess up the operations I have as I dont have the know how to reset everything if I mess up.

Rob+Newbould
Topic Author

Thanks for that.

I have tried the HDMI control for both Sky Q Box and the TV Bravia Sync. Unfortunately that has not made any difference and I still get the TV flickering on/off when turning on.

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Rob+Newbould   Just checking that you are just pressing the Sky Q remote power button briefly (less than a second). If you hold it down for longer, then the Sky Q box turns on the TV and then you switch the TV off again! 

Rob+Newbould
Topic Author

I have experimented doing as you suggest, but it seems to make no difference as the TV flickers on and off 3 or 4 times before coming on properly, hence my concern that the TV might get damaged as a tresult. I have never had this issue before the very recent installation of my SKY Q box.

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Rob+Newbould   

Clearly that is not right. If you are concerned then change it to manual operation by turning off Bravia Sync and HDMI Control on the Sky Q box. Then two presses of the Sky Q remote power button short and long to turn everything On and Off.

If the TV still flickers off and on afterwards then it is a problem with the TV. There are millions of us using Sony TVs without any problems.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion