Discussion topic: UHD Content

This message was authored by ITFCFAN This message was authored by: ITFCFAN

UHD Content

Hi

I have 4 queries about Sky Q, I was wondering if someone could answer them for me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Sky Q from Sky HD but I was wondering what/how much 4K content is available? I did a google search for a full list of UHD content on Sky Q but didn't get any results.

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while and naively thought that when I got Sky Q all the Cinema channels where in UHD  haha, turns out after some recent research there isn't any UHD channels at all, well apart from sports.

I think I'm right in thinking 4K content is just available on demand? So yeah, could someone please give me a rough idea of how much 4K stuff I would have access too?

Secondly, can someone please tell me how the pic quality of the SD/HD TV channels on Sky Q compares to SKY HD, are they pretty much the same?

Thirdly, I've read that the Q boxes are quite noisy compared to regular Sky HD boxes, even when turned off, is this what people have experienced?

Finally I read that you can get Sky Q boxes that are not actually UHD boxes, is this really the case? If so do I have to ask specifically for UHD HDR box when upgrading?

Thanks for any help given.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: UHD Content

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ITFCFAN wrote:

Hi

I have 4 queries about Sky Q, I was wondering if someone could answer them for me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Sky Q from Sky HD but I was wondering what/how much 4K content is available? I did a google search for a full list of UHD content on Sky Q but didn't get any results.

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while and naively thought that when I got Sky Q all the Cinema channels where in UHD  haha, turns out after some recent research there isn't any UHD channels at all, well apart from sports.

I think I'm right in thinking 4K content is just available on demand? So yeah, could someone please give me a rough idea of how much 4K stuff I would have access too?

Secondly, can someone please tell me how the pic quality of the SD/HD TV channels on Sky Q compares to SKY HD, are they pretty much the same?

Thirdly, I've read that the Q boxes are quite noisy compared to regular Sky HD boxes, even when turned off, is this what people have experienced?

Finally I read that you can get Sky Q boxes that are not actually UHD boxes, is this really the case? If so do I have to ask specifically for UHD HDR box when upgrading?

Thanks for any help given.

hi @ITFCFAN 

You are correct that the only UHD channels are for live sport  (although special events such as the late Queen's funeral & the King's Coronation were also live in UHD)

I haven't done any specific analysis but probably the majority of the main blockbuster films are available to download in UHD and a fair proportion of the back catalogue available of on demand films. 

Some of the Key entertainment shows are also availble in UHD - for example currently  True Detective S4 & from the back catalogue one my all time favourites - A Discovery of Witches. 

I am sorry not to  be able to fully quantify how much is available in UHD 

BTW I should mention it doesn't help that SKY Q uses  a GUI with 'Rails' and the people that are responsible for populating rails called Ultra HD don't always get it right and include shows only availble in HD ! 

I believe that some people find the SKY Q picture for SD & HD seems a little softer than via the HD box but I have no problem at all with SD & HD content on my Panasonic 58" OLED tv. 

I think you maybe right that some SKY Q boxes seem  noisier than SKY HD but I think it can vary from box to box  (mini boxes are pretty much  silent as they don't have a hard disc)

Edit: I should mention I rarely notice my main box  but it is in an alcove behind my TV

Yes there are still some non UHD boxes offered - please can I refer you to some notes I have put together  for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q

which may also answer some other questions you may have or even prompt you to enquire more regarding something more specific - feel free to ask & we will endevour to answer 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Just on UHD/HDR - they are different things entirely.

UHD is the video resolution (4K) and HDR is the colour range/brightness.  (You need a TV with HLG).

You can have UHD without HDR.  If you want a UHD+HDR box then there may be an additional one-off (non-refundable) charge.  Remember all Q boxes are lent and must be returned if you cancel your subscription.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@ITFCFAN 

Sky Q boxes are noisier than Sky+HD boxes. They have a fan which spins constantly, even when the box is in standby. It's very quiet but if you're sensitive to such things it can take a bit of getting used to. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Jones_The_Cat wrote:

@ITFCFAN 

Sky Q boxes are noisier than Sky+HD boxes. They have a fan which spins constantly, even when the box is in standby. It's very quiet but if you're sensitive to such things it can take a bit of getting used to. 

Hi @Jones_The_Cat 

Q fan is temperature controlled and not continuously on 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-boxes-are-warm-to-touch-or-noisy

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@oldfella wrote:

@Jones_The_Cat wrote:

@ITFCFAN 

Hi @Jones_The_Cat 

Q fan is temperature controlled and not continuously on 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-boxes-are-warm-to-touch-or-noisy

@Jones_The_Cat no noisy fan here

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Jones_The_Cat wrote:

@ITFCFAN 

@Jones_The_Cat although some people have reported this it's not something i've experienced with the 2 boxes i have had my original 2TB UHD box and the 2TB UHD v2 HDR trial box I was given they were both /are quieter than the HD box I had 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
ITFCFAN
Topic Author

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and the link, both were most helpful.

It sounds like there is a fair amount of UHD content so that's good to know, plus I'm happy with your answers for my other queries, I think I'm going to go for the upgrade.

Thanks again for your help.

ITFCFAN
Topic Author

Thank you very much for your reply and thanks for explaining that for me.

So am I right in thinking there are 3 different Sky Q boxes, HD-UHD-UHD HDR?

ITFCFAN
Topic Author

Thanks for letting me know, hopefully it won't bother me to much.

This message was authored by Dubzzy This message was authored by: Dubzzy

a silmiliar type of question i had, so came accross this on a search. I got a promotion on my Sky VIP rewards for 4 months free UHD then £4 after, but before I decide I really want to knw what content is available in 4K UHD. Google searches arent very clear and Sky's own website is vague.

It is my understanding that UHD is only beneficila for Sky Cinema and Sky Sports (premium channels). There is the odd show on Sky Atlanti, which really does not interest me. If that is the case, then I might aswell look into Netflix premium which has 4K content or watch some 4K content on YouTube

@Dubzzy wrote:

my understanding that UHD is only beneficila for Sky Cinema and Sky Sports (premium channels). There is the odd show on Sky Atlantic

Yup, Cinema and Sports are the main source of material.  There are 4K shows from Sky channels such as Atlantic for download.  (Movies are all via download - there is some live sport in UHD)

UHD used to unlock premium in NetFlix so there was peripheral benefit but it's changed now.

This message was authored by Number56 This message was authored by: Number56

I'm pleased I researched this(UHD) as it seems a waste of money in general.

@Number56 wrote:

I'm pleased I researched this(UHD) as it seems a waste of money in general.

I disagree but YMMV - it's completely optional

This message was authored by fac10 This message was authored by: fac10

Apologies if this is slightly off topic.

I recently had my old Sky Q 2TB box replaced with a new unit. Working fine overall but I could swear there are less HDR versions of UHD movies listed. To clarify, I can see some UHD films that were showing on my old 2TB as UHD HDR and were correctly recognised as such when played on my TV ‘HLG HDR’ are now listed only as UHD.

It could be my memory playing tricks here, but Sky’s own orginal movie ‘The Dry’ is now showing as UHD only, not UHD HDR, I was sure I saw this as UHD HDR on the previous box. Similarly listing such as ‘Inception’ were UHD HDR on the old box, now just listed as UHD. I can see the odd movie as UHD HDR eg. ‘The Beekeeper’ but most are only now showing UHD in the EPG. Am I imagining this?

Also, I’ve been told I have the ‘latest box’, however BBC iPlayer still has no UHD option even in beta mode. Do any Sky boxes support this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion