Discussion topic: UHD Content

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: UHD Content

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @fac10   What is the Hardware version of your 2TB box? It will be 32B(0,1 or 2)? I believe that only the 32B2 boxes support BBC iPlayer in UHD.

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@MightyQuinn wrote:

Hi @fac10   What is the Hardware version of your 2TB box? It will be 32B(0,1 or 2)? I believe that only the 32B2 boxes support BBC iPlayer in UHD.

I have the Sky Q V2 32B106 no BBC iplayer in UHD not too fussed as I have the iplayer app on my Smart tv and Firetvstick which I can watch content in glorious UHD/HDR

This message was authored by fac10 This message was authored by: fac10

Hi @MightyQuinn thanks for the fast reply. Much appreciated.

The box is listed as '32B106' . So it would appear I don't have the most up to date box as claimed by the support team. In fact, when on the phone to them I was eventually put through to 'technical support' I was told they would send a signal within 4 hours that would remedy this and I would get a UHD option on iPlayer. 😲 I gave up at this point on an already lengthy call. 

I was a little suspicious I was not getting the latest box as I read on another forum the newer boxes have and internal power supply, not external as is the case with my previous and current box. I wonder if I could simply request a 32B2 box if I'd have any success? 

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@fac10 wrote:

I wonder if I could simply request a 32B2 box if I'd have any success? 

Hi @fac10   The suspicion is they stopped making the 2TB boxes a while ago. If you want the latest box 32B2 then you would have to have the 1TB version. Exactly the same as the 32B2 2TB box, just with a smaller hard drive. I have a 32B2 2TB box and I have never gone over 10%. I probably record 15 programmes a day time shifting, delete as soon as they are viewed.

Thanks @Best+of+the+best. So the V2 32B106 does not support it either?

Same as you, I can  get a UHD option on the iPlayer app on my TV which I will continue to use. However, I thought the newer Sky boxes had this functionality and I was checking this to see if I had the newest box, it would appear not.

Is there a V3 box that has an internal power supply?

@fac10 wrote:

Is there a V3 box that has an internal power supply?

Hi @fac10   Only the 32B1 (V2 shorthand adopted by this community only) has the external power supply. ALL other boxes have an internal power supply. V3 = 32B2 = ES340. V2 = 32B1 = ES240.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@fac10 wrote:

Apologies if this is slightly off topic.

I recently had my old Sky Q 2TB box replaced with a new unit. Working fine overall but I could swear there are less HDR versions of UHD movies listed. To clarify, I can see some UHD films that were showing on my old 2TB as UHD HDR and were correctly recognised as such when played on my TV ‘HLG HDR’ are now listed only as UHD.

It could be my memory playing tricks here, but Sky’s own orginal movie ‘The Dry’ is now showing as UHD only, not UHD HDR, I was sure I saw this as UHD HDR on the previous box. Similarly listing such as ‘Inception’ were UHD HDR on the old box, now just listed as UHD. I can see the odd movie as UHD HDR eg. ‘The Beekeeper’ but most are only now showing UHD in the EPG. Am I imagining this?

Also, I’ve been told I have the ‘latest box’, however BBC iPlayer still has no UHD option even in beta mode. Do any Sky boxes support this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

hi @fac10 

As the other posts have gone through, the V2 box you now have does not have the UHD iPlayer we generally recommend using the TV's app anyway.

However, all the HDR content you can otherwise get is the same on the V2 as the V3 box so I would not fret trying to get hold of a V3 box- SKY Systems do not differentiate between the 2 so they can never guarantee which HDR capable2TB box you will get 

Hi @nigea99,

Thanks for the feedback. 

I do have an additional question. If the HDR content is the same on all HDR capable 2TB boxes. Why are some Sky Cinema movies that were showing as available in UHD HDR on my previous box no longer available on the 'new' unit?

Thanks in advance. 

@fac10 wrote:

Hi @nigea99,

Thanks for the feedback. 

I do have an additional question. If the HDR content is the same on all HDR capable 2TB boxes. Why are some Sky Cinema movies that were showing as available in UHD HDR on my previous box no longer available on the 'new' unit?

Thanks in advance. 

@fac10 

Can you give us some examples  ?

@nigea99 wrote:

@fac10 wrote:

Hi @nigea99,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Thanks in advance. 

@fac10 

Hi @nigea99 

Thanks for prompt reply, much appreciated. 

I mentioned the 'The Dry' in my original post as an example, but I was also sure I had 'Inception' and 'Interstellar' downloaded in UHD HDR to the previous box. Now showing as UHD only

Hope this helps.

Hi @fac10   Have you checked that the format is still 2160p 10bit?

@MightyQuinn wrote:

Hi @MightyQuinn,

Yes, I went to the AV settings after the initial software update and set 2160p 10-bit & also enabled DD+ for audio output via HDMI

@fac10 wrote:

@nigea99 wrote:

@fac10 wrote:

Hi @nigea99,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Thanks in advance. 

@fac10 

Hi @nigea99 

I mentioned the 'The Dry' in my original post as an example, but I was also sure I had 'Inception' and 'Interstellar' downloaded in UHD HDR to the previous box. Now showing as UHD only

Hope this helps.

Ah I think you might be falling foul of the often poor set up of the Rails showing content - which don't always show the UHD or HDR versions 

Try using Voice control & see what versions show - all are showing as available in HDR on my V2 box

@fac10 wrote:

@MightyQuinn wrote:

Hi @MightyQuinn,

Yes, I went to the AV settings after the initial software update and set 2160p 10-bit & also enabled DD+ for audio output via HDMI

Forgot to add. 'The Beekeeper' is the only one I can see in the UHD selection as UHD HDR, even there it initially shows as 'HD' in the listing. You have to check all formats to see a HDR option. 

@nigea99 wrote:

@fac10 wrote:

@nigea99 wrote:

@fac10 wrote:

Hi @nigea99,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Thanks in advance. 

@fac10 

Hi @nigea99 

Hope this helps.

Ah I think you might be falling foul of the often poor set up of the Rails showing content - which don't always show the UHD or HDR versions 

Try using Voice control & see what versions show - all are showing as available in HDR on my V2 box

That worked! Thanks. 

Definitely a bug then. When I searched with the voice control for 'Interstellar' it defaults to HD but gave me the 'All formats' option when I navigated to the thumbnail, I could then see the HDR option. When I located it via the Sky Cinema > Ultra HD>... It only showed as UHD. 

Thanks again @nigea99 and @MightyQuinn 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion