Discussion topic: Turning off Wi-Fi on sky Q box

This message was authored by Kentman19 This message was authored by: Kentman19

Turning off Wi-Fi on sky Q box

We have installed a mesh network throughout the house as the original Sky router can't handle all our smart devices. To avoid having to change all of the devices to a new SSID and password the new system has been named the same as the sky router and I've disabled the Wi-Fi on the router. 

Generally ot all works really well, but recently our Sonos dropped off the network and from I can work out connected itself to the 'old' sky Wi-Fi. It through the Sky Q box. I turned off the Wi-Fi setting in the box and then the mini q box stopped connecting as it must use the Wi-Fi. 

is there anyway I can get the 2 sky box's to talk to each again without having the Wi-Fi settings on?

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Turning off Wi-Fi on sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kentman19 wrote:

We have installed a mesh network throughout the house as the original Sky router can't handle all our smart devices. To avoid having to change all of the devices to a new SSID and password the new system has been named the same as the sky router and I've disabled the Wi-Fi on the router. 

Generally ot all works really well, but recently our Sonos dropped off the network and from I can work out connected itself to the 'old' sky Wi-Fi. It through the Sky Q box. I turned off the Wi-Fi setting in the box and then the mini q box stopped connecting as it must use the Wi-Fi. 

is there anyway I can get the 2 sky box's to talk to each again without having the Wi-Fi settings on?

Hi @Kentman19 

Only by connecting all Q boxes by Ethernet.    Can you connect both boxes to your Mesh network by Ethernet.

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router. Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kentman19 wrote:

Hi @Kentman19 

Only by connecting all Q boxes by Ethernet.    Can you connect both boxes to your Mesh network by Ethernet.

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router. Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Kentman19
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kentman19 This message was authored by: Kentman19

@oldfella Thank you for the info, I'll give this a go over the next few days and let you know how I got on. 

This message was authored by Barry2503 This message was authored by: Barry2503

this solution works well, however you will need to keep an eye on it.

For some unknown reason (and i have yet to find a pattern), the SqkQ boxes will silently re-enable the wifi settings and you will sytart having random wifi issues until you repaet the whole process.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion