Discussion topic: Subtitles Issue.

This message was authored by Garry+Rowe This message was authored by: Garry+Rowe

Subtitles Issue.

Had a new Sky Q Box installed less than 48 hours ago and already I'm having issues. I activated subtitles by voice command and now I can't get the subtitles to go off. I go to the ? button on my remote and scroll along to Subtitles which are set to 'English'. I select 'off' and the subtitles do go off - but only for the channel I'm currently watching. But when I change channels the Subtitles are ON and when I go back to the channel I was watching the Subtitles are back ON.

Also, I can't get 'record series'. Instead all I can get is 'Record Once'.

And the box has already recorded programmes I did not set to record.

Anyone any ideas ? Please help.

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: Subtitles Issue.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Garry+Rowe   

The Subtitles have two states, 1. Default and 2. Temporary. When you turn them off and on using the "?" route this is temporary. Changing channel will restore to default. However, if you use the voice command you change the Default. The same as changing in the Accessibility settings. So voice command "Subtitles On (or Off)" permanently changes the default state for all channels and programmes with subtitles.

Not all programmes or channels have a Series link. Do you have an example?

I would go into the Scheduled programmes and tidy up any spurious scheduled programmes.

Garry+Rowe
Topic Author
This message was authored by Garry+Rowe This message was authored by: Garry+Rowe

I tried using voice command and saying 'Subtitles Off' more than once but it only picks up 'Subtitles' and not the the word 'Off.'

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Garry+Rowe wrote:

I tried using voice command and saying 'Subtitles Off' more than once but it only picks up 'Subtitles' and not the the word 'Off.'

You should also be able to switch on & off from :

Home - Settings - Accessibility - Subtitles

Garry+Rowe
Topic Author

OK, I'll try that.

Garry+Rowe
Topic Author

Thank you, it worked.

Any ideas on the other issues I mentioned?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Garry+Rowe wrote:

Hi @Garry+Rowe 

I have the same problem here with Voice control.

I have to say Subtitles oorf

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@Garry+Rowe wrote:

Hi @Garry+Rowe   I just tried "Subtitles Off". I had to put real emphasis on "Off" which worked. 1st time it showed Subtitles Of. Just checking that you are holding down the voice button until after completing Off.

Garry+Rowe
Topic Author

Yeah, I'm holding it down for the required time span.

@Garry+Rowe wrote:

Hi @Garry+Rowe   Sorry, I did edit my first reply.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Garry+Rowe wrote:

Thank you, it worked.

For Series Record is it affecting all recordings - sometimes individual programmes are not correctly set up to  link

Is it both on setting initially to record and also when using the manage Recordings - scheduled and trying to add a series link there.

Regarding recordings you have not set it is possible that the box is a used box and remembering 'smart' links used by the previous user - probably best to just keep an eye on scheduled recordings then remove any Series Links fisrt before deleting the recording due

(Alternatively use a bit more of a sledge hammer to do a reset of the box which we can advise if you really want to)

Garry+Rowe
Topic Author

I was told by the engineers that it was a brand new box but who knows?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion