Discussion topic: SkyQ and Sonos interfering with each other

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by ChrisWil58 This message was authored by: ChrisWil58

Re: SkyQ and Sonos interfering with each other

Yes - just one of your boxes needs to be on the ethernet. It then creates the SonosNet which al your Sonos kit will link to. You need to leave it connected to the router from then on. It that is not possible, consider buying a Sonos Boost which you connect to your ethernet and it does the same thing.

Note that the Move (and the new Roam) are wifi and bluetooth and do not appear on the SonosNet so they will link to whatever wifi band you have set them up with only.

This message was authored by Dunshavin This message was authored by: Dunshavin

Thanks @ChrisWil58 , but that's not the problem in my case. I only have one Wifi network, created by the Sky Q Router that I connect to. I do have my Sonos Beam connected by PowerLine to the router, so that should be creating the SonosNet mesh that you mentioned.

I suspect the problem is because the Sky Q kit also creates it's own Mesh network for all the Sky Q devices to talk to eachother. I didn't used to have the SonosNet mesh, and the problem was still there. I connected the Beam to ethernet to try to alleviate the problem, but it didn't help.

I just think that the Sonos networking does not work properly when there is a Sky Q mesh network involved. Something is probably on the same channel or frequency or something, and causing interference and stopping stuff working.

This message was authored by Piesarus This message was authored by: Piesarus

@Dunshavin wrote:

Thanks @ChrisWil58 , but that's not the problem in my case. I only have one Wifi network, created by the Sky Q Router that I connect to. I do have my Sonos Beam connected by PowerLine to the router, so that should be creating the SonosNet mesh that you mentioned.

I suspect the problem is because the Sky Q kit also creates it's own Mesh network for all the Sky Q devices to talk to eachother. I didn't used to have the SonosNet mesh, and the problem was still there. I connected the Beam to ethernet to try to alleviate the problem, but it didn't help.

I just think that the Sonos networking does not work properly when there is a Sky Q mesh network involved. Something is probably on the same channel or frequency or something, and causing interference and stopping stuff working.

Why bother with Sonos Net when Sonos kit works perfectly fine with ordinary home WiFi.

This message was authored by ChrisWil58 This message was authored by: ChrisWil58

I have an ASUS router, and Sky Q and Mini Q. Sky has it's own mesh, Sonos has it's own mesh. I have the ASUS XT8 controlling my wifi (wifi turned off in the router). Sonos Boost, and first XT8 are direct ethernet links to the router. I don't have an issue.

Have you contacted Sonos support. I have found them to be very capable and helpful, and even helped diagnose a faulty ethernet cable in the past?

woodchal
Topic Author
This message was authored by woodchal This message was authored by: woodchal

@Piesarus 

Why bother with Sonos Net when Sonos kit works perfectly fine with ordinary home WiFi.

Answer - No true.  Yes it does work as a sound system if they are all connected to the same "access point".  If you have anykind of  mesh then only those devices connected to that access point will work as a network and the "controller app" will only see those devices that are on connected to the same access point.

The wifi has a SSID and each access point has a subsidiary BSSID and Sonos cannot cope with devices being with different BSSID.  Sonos support say this is because the access point are not transmitting the right SSPD protocol.

I have spent hours with Sonos support - no solutions.  I would not buy Sonos kit again!

woodchal
Topic Author

This not to say Sky are faultless - from posts elsewhere their implementation of a mesh is fatally flawed.  It sends endless SSDP network traffic that pulls the performance of the whole wifi down.  This is addressed in other posts - apparently there is a fix coming down the line - 2 releases time. 

I would just like Sonos and Sky to talk together (digitally and physically) and resolve this mesh issue for customers - there should be no turf wars.

My solution for now - I have turned the whole SkyQ/Sky mini mesh  wifi off and rely on the main wifi for all devices and everything works.  I have SkyQ and Sky mini connected to Ethernet.  The advice on how to stop the wifi being swamped by SSDP traffice generated by Sky is to leave the Sky mini left on (no standby).  I have therefore lost the benefit of extending the wifi into the garden using the sky mesh - I am not impressed by either of these companie

@woodchal wrote:

@Piesarus 

Answer - No true.  Yes it does work as a sound system if they are all connected to the same "access point".  If you have anykind of  mesh then only those devices connected to that access point will work as a network and the "controller app" will only see those devices that are on connected to the same access point.

The wifi has a SSID and each access point has a subsidiary BSSID and Sonos cannot cope with devices being with different BSSID.  Sonos support say this is because the access point are not transmitting the right SSPD protocol.

I have spent hours with Sonos support - no solutions.  I would not buy Sonos kit again!

I use a BT Wholehome Mesh network and have been using Sonos since 2013. Never experienced a droput in all those years.

woodchal
Topic Author

@Piesarus 

"I use a BT Wholehome Mesh network and have been using Sonos since 2013. Never experienced a droput in all those years."

Clarification Questions - Sonos 2?  do BT mesh access points have different BSSID?  do you have SkyQ and Sky mini?

Then this does point to Sky "mesh" having the issue with Sonos "broadcast" messages.   However as a mere consumer I would like to knock their heads together though as it will take them both to work out the solution.

@woodchal wrote:

@Piesarus 

"I use a BT Wholehome Mesh network and have been using Sonos since 2013. Never experienced a droput in all those years."

Clarification Questions - Sonos 2?  do BT mesh access points have different BSSID?  do you have SkyQ and Sky mini?

Then this does point to Sky "mesh" having the issue with Sonos "broadcast" messages.   However as a mere consumer I would like to knock their heads together though as it will take them both to work out the solution.

BT Mesh and possibly all mesh have the same SSID. That's how they work i.e. you get seamless access to the best WiFi signal as you move around. The system will move you from one disk to the next strongest unit. I have SkyQ Main and Mini which also work brilliantly on 100% WiFi. I couldn't run SkyQ period just using a router alone.

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Piesarus

That's not the case. I have one Sonos connected to the router by ethernet, which takes all my Sonos off my WiFi and onto Sonosnet. This means the speakers cause no drain on my wifi bandwidth at all, which they otherwise would do (and indeed used to do - most Sonos use 802.11b/g, and any wifi setup is only as fast as its lowest protocol). 

woodchal
Topic Author

@Piesarus 

"BT Mesh and possibly all mesh have the same SSID"

Of course thats true - its how it works!  Howver there is BSSID as well, which works as a subsiduary identifier  for each access point.

The problem I have (and other posters have) is that if your Sonos controller app is connected to a access point with a different BSSID  to your Sonos devices (although they all are connected to the same SSID of course) then the app will not see that Sonos devices (whether connected on Wifi only or Sonosnet).

Is there anyone out there with Sky mesh that could help?  Obviously you have a different set-up.

@Rhonny  Sonos had zero effect on my mesh network. It never breaks sweat even when running nearly 30 devices. 

woodchal
Topic Author

@Piesarus  “Sonos had zero effect on my mesh network. It never breaks sweat even when running nearly 30 devices.

That is good for you - meanwhile anything to add to solve the issue?

This message was authored by Sam333 This message was authored by: Sam333

Okay, cool. I'll try it. Thanks for your help. 

@woodchal  yes, ditch Sonos net you don't need it. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion