0

Discussion topic: SkyQ Program Delivery

Reply
This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

SkyQ Program Delivery

Can someone please clarify the position w.r.t. SkyQ and program delivery. 

I had assumed it was all via satellite.

However on the Sky tennis forum I was informed recently that Red Butten tennis programs are delivered by internet.

So if a mixed system is used on SkyQ. I wondered if other programs are delivered by Internet.

I have checked programs within Catch Up and On Demand and all these seem to downloaded - presumably by satellite.

If however, as I read, there are constraints on providing more programs via satellite, why isn't Internet Streaming used more i.e. for Catch Up & On Demand ?

Reply

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

Can someone please clarify the position w.r.t. SkyQ and program delivery. 

I had assumed it was all via satellite.

However on the Sky tennis forum I was informed recently that Red Butten tennis programs are delivered by internet.

So if a mixed system is used on SkyQ. I wondered if other programs are delivered by Internet.

I have checked programs within Catch Up and On Demand and all these seem to downloaded - presumably by satellite.

If however, as I read, there are constraints on providing more programs via satellite, why isn't Internet Streaming used more i.e. for Catch Up & On Demand ?


Hi @PhilHampson-Sky 

All Catch up and On Demand is streamed by Internet on Sky Q.

Live TV Channels (from the TV Guide) are by Satellite 

PhilHampson-Sky
Topic Author
This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

@oldfella Thanks for that - beginning to see light in the gloom but still a bit mystified.

With tennis replays, supplied by Tennis TV or recently by Prime, these were streamed over Internet.

However wiith these, you could IMMEDIATELY  jump around in the video, to near the end if you wished. 

With Sky videos, they Download, like they did with satellite delivery, so you may have to wait quite some time, depending on your Internet speed, before you have it all, before  you  can jump far forward.

Why are Sky videos, delivered by Internet, like this ?

I hope my further questions is clear.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@oldfella wrote:

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

Can someone please clarify the position w.r.t. SkyQ and program delivery. 

I had assumed it was all via satellite.

However on the Sky tennis forum I was informed recently that Red Butten tennis programs are delivered by internet.

So if a mixed system is used on SkyQ. I wondered if other programs are delivered by Internet.

I have checked programs within Catch Up and On Demand and all these seem to downloaded - presumably by satellite.

If however, as I read, there are constraints on providing more programs via satellite, why isn't Internet Streaming used more i.e. for Catch Up & On Demand ?


Hi @PhilHampson-Sky 

All Catch up and On Demand is streamed by Internet on Sky Q.

Live TV Channels (from the TV Guide) are by Satellite 


@PhilHampson-Sky  firther to @oldfella 's reply a lot of Red Button cntent is now delivered via internet although some is still via Satellite (especially UHD versions that are being shown on SKY Sports ME UHD or if the other UHD transponder is free)

 

I think you are correct that all the red button alternates for the Tennis are deliveredvia the internet 

 

Some alternatives may remain on Satellite depending on transponder availablility but I think there will be more Red button button content migrate that way - this does have a downside for SKY HD box users which rely on Satellite content only 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

@oldfella Thanks for that - beginning to see light in the gloom but still a bit mystified.

With tennis replays, supplied by Tennis TV or recently by Prime, these were streamed over Internet.

However wiith these, you could IMMEDIATELY  jump around in the video, to near the end if you wished. 

With Sky videos, they Download, like they did with satellite delivery, so you may have to wait quite some time, depending on your Internet speed, before you have it all, before  you  can jump far forward.

Why are Sky videos, delivered by Internet, like this ?

I hope my further questions is clear.


hi @PhilHampson-Sky 

 

the difference is that the alternate content via the Red button is streamed so has the streaming options available

 

SKY Q is now quite old in tech terms so On Demand & Catch up is not streamed but downloaded & then accessed from the Hard disc just like it had been recorded from the Satellite - This actually is an advantage for those with slow internet as, whilst they have to wait longer  for the download it is not reliant on a fast speed needed for streaming .

 

For those with a decent internet connection, as you say,  after a few minutes you can jump around recordings to a degree

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky 

 

For example, as of last year:

 

https://informitv.com/2023/06/17/bbc-moves-extra-wimbledon-coverage-online/ 

* * * * * * *

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
PhilHampson-Sky
Topic Author
This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Thanks everyone.

Moving forward with new technology but trying to make services backward compatibltle for old customers  is obviously not an easy business.

I guess Sky do a reasonable job of this .

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Moving forward with new technology but trying to make services backward compatibltle for old customers  is obviously not an easy business.

I guess Sky do a reasonable job of this .


Hi @PhilHampson-Sky 

Sky are moving to Dishless Systems such as Sky Glass and Sky Stream which rely totally on the Internet.

Unfortunately for us Dish Die Hards using satellite dish receivers with recording capability, the life of the existing Satellites is limited to the next few years.  Therefore streaming systems are the main push now for Sky.

PhilHampson-Sky
Topic Author
This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

All you experts - Was Internet delivery of CatchUp & OnDemand part of SkyQ from the outset or have they moved over to that over the last ( 8 ? ) years ?

If so, is the SkyQ hardware & software sufficiently flexible to shift normal programs over to Internet delivery ?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

All you experts - Was Internet delivery of CatchUp & OnDemand part of SkyQ from the outset or have they moved over to that over the last ( 8 ? ) years ?

Yes there from the onset

If so, is the SkyQ hardware & software sufficiently flexible to shift normal programs over to Internet delivery ?

No


Hi @PhilHampson-Sky 

 

PhilHampson-Sky
Topic Author
This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

@oldfella Thanks for further info. All this arose for me w.r.t Sky Tennis provision.

I now know that Sky use Internet in their SkyQ system for various purposes albeit for  Downloading

Is the SkyQ hardware/software capable of providing the type of streaming used by TennisTV & Amazon Prime for their tennis e.g. videos NOT downloaded first or is that possible ONLY with Sky Stream.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

@oldfella Thanks for further info. All this arose for me w.r.t Sky Tennis provision.

I now know that Sky use Internet in their SkyQ system for various purposes albeit for  Downloading

Is the SkyQ hardware/software capable of providing the type of streaming used by TennisTV & Amazon Prime for their tennis e.g. videos NOT downloaded first or is that possible ONLY with Sky Stream.


Hi @PhilHampson-Sky 

If you are watching Streamed content then it can be watched directly.  Catchup and On Demand has to be downloaded but you can start watching within a few seconds.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

All you experts - Was Internet delivery of CatchUp & OnDemand part of SkyQ from the outset or have they moved over to that over the last ( 8 ? ) years 


It has always been Internet delivered, as it was/still is for Sky+HD boxes 


Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
PhilHampson-Sky
Topic Author
This message was authored by PhilHampson-Sky This message was authored by: PhilHampson-Sky

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

@oldfella 

Hi @PhilHampson-Sky  said

If you are watching Streamed content then it can be watched directly.  Catchup and On Demand has to be downloaded but you can start watching within a few seconds.

 

Yes I now appreciate that but what I was trying to ascertain was Can Sky do streaming via the SkyQ equipment or can they only use Internet for downloading on that system ?

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: SkyQ Program Delivery

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PhilHampson-Sky wrote:

@oldfella 

Hi @PhilHampson-Sky  said

If you are watching Streamed content then it can be watched directly.  Catchup and On Demand has to be downloaded but you can start watching within a few seconds.

 

Yes I now appreciate that but what I was trying to ascertain was Can Sky do streaming via the SkyQ equipment or can they only use Internet for downloading on that system ?


@PhilHampson-Sky 

 

the box itself is capable of streaming as it does with all the various 3rd party apps as well as red button content.

 

It won't however be developed to do that for the content delivered by the current Satellite channels  as that is what SKy Stream does

Reply

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion