Discussion topic: Sky sports via sky q box poor quality on new LG tv

This message was authored by susancatlinjg This message was authored by: susancatlinjg

Sky sports via sky q box poor quality on new LG tv

I've just set up my new LG 4k TV but now the picture quality on my Sky Q Sky Sports channels is really poor. I've tried adjusting various settings but don't seem to have improved it. Has anyone got any suggestions /had similar issues. My 15 year old Samsung TV had much clearer picture through same Sky Q box 

All Replies

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Re: Sky sports via sky q box poor quality on new LG tv

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@susancatlinjg wrote:

I've just set up my new LG 4k TV but now the picture quality on my Sky Q Sky Sports channels is really poor. I've tried adjusting various settings but don't seem to have improved it. Has anyone got any suggestions /had similar issues. My 15 year old Samsung TV had much clearer picture through same Sky Q box 

What output setting is the Sky Q box on (e.g. 1080p, 1080i, 2160p 8 bit) and what picture mode is the LG TV in (e.g. Eco, IFS Dark Room)?

Which model of LG TV did you get?

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
susancatlinjg
Topic Author
This message was authored by susancatlinjg This message was authored by: susancatlinjg

Hi thanks for replying. In answer to your questions :

LG43UT9106LA Smart 4K UHD, HDR, LED Free view TV

Picture Mode is set to 1080p (HD)

TV is set in Standard Mode 

This message was authored by Sparkymatt100 This message was authored by: Sparkymatt100

@susancatlinjg 

I would suggest setting HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour ( I think thats what it is) on the TV for the HDMI input Sky Q is connected to. Set TV picture mode to Filmmaker mode ( has all the motion and picture processing settings etc turned off and displays picture how the director intended), or Cinema mode. Set Sky resolutuion output to 2160p 10 Bit and should be good to go. That is of course if you have the UHD add on with Sky, otherwise try Sky resolution 1080p but still use filmmaker or cinema picture mode on TV.

LG OLED65C3" 4K HDR TV
Sky Q 2Tb HDR
Mini Box

Sky Superfast Broadband
susancatlinjg
Topic Author

Thanks for your help - I'll give it a try. Don't have the UHD add on with Sky but hopefully that won't impact too much on the picture quality. It was strikingly noticeable last night when I was watching football - quite poor quality. Will let you know how I go. I appreciate your help. 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Were you watching football from a channel or via streaming?  (Sky sports+)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
susancatlinjg
Topic Author

• Both - I watched Sky Sports + on the red button, then I watched football on Amazon Prime - there was no difference in picture quality 
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@susancatlinjg wrote:
  • Both - I watched Sky Sports + on the red button, then I watched football on Amazon Prime - there was no difference in picture quality 

Both of those are streaming sources - the quality could be impacted by your internet speed.

Try a satellite channel instead.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Sparkymatt100 This message was authored by: Sparkymatt100

I'd use the TV's dedicated Prime app rather than through Sky Q box. All apps will run better when using TV's own apps.

LG OLED65C3" 4K HDR TV
Sky Q 2Tb HDR
Mini Box

Sky Superfast Broadband

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion