Discussion topic: Sky multi-room won’t connect.

This message was authored by KevG14 This message was authored by: KevG14

Sky multi-room won’t connect.

My Sky mini just won't connect. I'm not paid to be a technician for them but they are taking at least a week to get an engineer. The box has been disconnecting for months but I thought it was the weather. I've done the switching off at the wall bit but my TV still says can't find source.  Help appreciated because skys customer support were rude. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Sky multi-room won’t connect.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KevG14 wrote:

My Sky mini just won't connect. I'm not paid to be a technician for them but they are taking at least a week to get an engineer. The box has been disconnecting for months but I thought it was the weather. I've done the switching off at the wall bit but my TV still says can't find source.  Help appreciated because skys customer support were rude. 

@KevG14 I know you said you have tried switching off at the wall but 

Have you tried rebooting your main Q box ie
putting your box into Standby then switching it off at the wall for 30 seconds
switch it back on then follow the on screen instructions

then

rebooting your mini box 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
KevG14
Topic Author

Yes, I even updated the software. It now goes to asking for me to press the centre button <•> but when do nothing happens. Remote is otherwise working. It's a royal pain. 

This message was authored by kop32 This message was authored by: kop32

@KevG14 wrote:

Hi @KevG14 , Pretty sure the weather won't affect the signal from the main Sky Q box to the mini !, may I ask how far away the mini is from the main Sky Q box as it may be out of range (or just on the edge), if it is there are a few ways to solve the constant disconnection issues.

1. Request a Sky booster that sits in between the main Sky Q box and the mini

2. Use powerline adapters to connect the mini to the main Sky Q box

3. Hardwire both the boxes and your router together (most stable solution, if using this option then remember to turn off WiFi on both the main Sky Q box and the mini as WiFi seems to be the default setting on the Sky Q system)

Sky Stream x 3, VM 1 gb Broadband and TP-Link Deco X50 AX3000 Whole Home AI-Driven Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System
KevG14
Topic Author

Nothing to do with weather. I used to be an area manager with Sky when it first started millions of years ago. I'm certain it's either the box or even something as simple as the remote. It could even be a software update issue. 

all I know bud is I have a brain tumour and TV my guilty pleasure. I'm seriously considering cancelling my £1,000 a year sky and focussing on smart TV. 

shame as I see. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion