Discussion topic: Sky Q

This message was authored by December+2022 This message was authored by: December+2022

Sky Q

Hi, I am due to have sky q installed shortly. My question is  how will it work as my tv is on a wall & am looking for no wires etc to be visible. Can sky q go into another room? 
Many thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@December+2022 wrote:

Hi, I am due to have sky q installed shortly. My question is  how will it work as my tv is on a wall & am looking for no wires etc to be visible. Can sky q go into another room? 
Many thanks 

Hi @December+2022 

Not unless it's in the room immediately behind the TV and can drill through the Wall for the HDMI cable which connects the Q box to the TV.

The Q Bluetooth remote should be able to work the Q box but the remote will need line of sight to the Q box to pair.

Also bear in mind that the Q box needs two cables from the satellite dish.  These cables would have to come through an external wall and go to the Q box

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Did you put the TV on the wall with no concealed HDMI cables going to it??

December+2022
Topic Author
This message was authored by December+2022 This message was authored by: December+2022

Hi, I haven't put the tv on the wall yet.. I am due to get sky q shortly.

Many thanks 

@December+2022 wrote:

Hi, I haven't put the tv on the wall yet.. I am due to get sky q shortly.

Many thanks 

Ah. Channel HDMI  & power cables into the plaster when you fit it.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Hi @December+2022

Do bear in mind that the HDMI cable from the SKY Q box to TV should ideally be less than 3m for 4K/UHD  

Yeah you want to test them first ideally before plastering over & painting 😁 but people usually bury conduit wide enough to pull an hdmi plug through.

December+2022
Topic Author

Thanks all

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@December+2022 wrote:

Can sky q go into another room? 

Yes: a few Q users apparently choose to have a main Q box concealed (and without a screen) taking the satellite feed, and then use a Q Mini box behind a television receiving data wirelessly from the main box.  This removes the option of having UHD content from Sky (because Mini boxes don't do UHD) and adds significant cost through the Multiscreen subscription, but apparently not having wires visible is more important.

For really advanced practitioners, there's the option of using HDbaseT AV distribution to client screens.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion