Discussion topic: Sky Q refusing to connect to broadband

This message was authored by Nataliesmxth This message was authored by: Nataliesmxth

Sky Q refusing to connect to broadband

Hi, my Sky Q box and Sky Q mini are both refusing to connect to my sky broadband. I have disconnected and reconnected my phone and other devices and they have reconnected no problem. The sky boxes however are just stating "unsuccessful connection" if I try the WPS approach, or state "password incorrect" if I try to manually connect to the broadband. I have reset the router. Reset network settings. And done a full setting reset on my sky q box and the issue still persists. 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q refusing to connect to broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nataliesmxth wrote:

Hi, my Sky Q box and Sky Q mini are both refusing to connect to my sky broadband. I have disconnected and reconnected my phone and other devices and they have reconnected no problem. The sky boxes however are just stating "unsuccessful connection" if I try the WPS approach, or state "password incorrect" if I try to manually connect to the broadband. I have reset the router. Reset network settings. And done a full setting reset on my sky q box and the issue still persists. 

Hi @Nataliesmxth 

Do you know if you have the Sky Max router?

If you have, you need to use the router SSID and password in a main Q box Network Reset.

With other Sky routers you need to use WPS on the router when carrying out a Main Q box Network reset.

ie see below 

On Sky Broadband you will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky router. (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically). Make sure you press the WPS button on the Sky router and not the reset button.

See WPS button location.

oldfella_0-1691402294249.png

Nataliesmxth
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nataliesmxth This message was authored by: Nataliesmxth

I'm have a standard sky broadband. Can confirm I was pressing the WPS button until it flashed as per sky instructions. I also attempted manually adding the sky broadband to check whether this way may work and both failed stating that it was unsuccessful. 

@Nataliesmxth wrote:

I'm have a standard sky broadband. Can confirm I was pressing the WPS button until it flashed as per sky instructions. I also attempted manually adding the sky broadband to check whether this way may work and both failed stating that it was unsuccessful. 

Hi @Nataliesmxth 

.Q will only connect to standard Sky router by WPS

......... was pressing the WPS button until it flashed as per sky instructions........

Edit.

What colour was the WPS light flashing?

Assume the Main Q box WPS was flashing and you pressed the router WPS within 2 minutes?

Nataliesmxth
Topic Author

I tried both as per sky guidance. 

WPS button was flashing orange and I can confirm I pressed it within 2 minutes, all 4 times I tried to connect it that way. 

@Nataliesmxth wrote:

I tried both as per sky guidance. 

WPS button was flashing orange and I can confirm I pressed it within 2 minutes, all 4 times I tried to connect it that way. 

How far is your Main Q box from the router @Nataliesmxth ?

Nataliesmxth
Topic Author

It's literally next door, we live in a bungalow so nothing of great distance. Maybe 15ft at most? It has been connected to the broadband before

Hi @Nataliesmxth 

I have escalated your post to Sky.
You may receive an email or a private message inviting you to have a private conversation on the Community with a Sky Expert.

Look out for a chat bubble at the bottom of your screen inviting you to a chat
The link below explains how the escalation process works.  Not sure if they will resond over the weekend.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

In the meantime if you haven't already

Try a Reset Settings in the Q box hidden menu.  I don't know if you've done this or just a reboot.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Only Carry out the first Reset (Reset Settings) as the other two will wipe all recordings.
After the Reset you will have to re pair your Bluetooth remote If you use one.
If you cannot switch the Q box on with the remote after the Reset press the Standby button (Amber led) on the front of the box.
To re pair the remote press 1 & 3 together on the remote and follow onscreen instructions to re pair.

Make sure that you are pointing the remote at the Q box when you press 1 & 3 together.

Resetting the settings will also reset:

Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, include LNB type. If on a communal dish you need to reset the LNB to SCR in the hidden menu. After changing the LNB type you need to reboot the Q box.

Nataliesmxth
Topic Author

Hi, many thanks for your escalation. 

Have already tried the settings reset too and was to no avail. Will await skys email/message. Thanks again 🙂 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Sky's guidance says to try the SSID/password approach for a Sky router? That's odd, that never works afaik.

Nataliesmxth
Topic Author

The advice came from a customer service agent who told me they booked an engineer that also never got booked so I mean pinch of salt and all that. However, thought it was worth mentioning in case it was suggested again...

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to @Nataliesmxth to chat.

This message was authored by idol+the+bear This message was authored by: idol+the+bear

On the back of the Sky Router press and hold the small reset button for a few seconds and the router will reboot (this is not the same as powering it off and on) when all the lights have come back on at the front you should be able to reconnect your main Q box to the network.

Nataliesmxth
Topic Author

Done and didn't work unfortunately. Have reset both the sky q box and the router and both are still not playing ball. 

This message was authored by idol+the+bear This message was authored by: idol+the+bear

Did you reset the router rather than switching it on and off?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion