Discussion topic: Sky Q network connection issues

This message was authored by Linzi000 This message was authored by: Linzi000

Sky Q network connection issues

I've moved home and had an engineer visit who checked my sky q set up and dish (sky q box came with me and is screening tv ok and I was advised the dish is pretty new). My sky hub arrived on Fri with an activation date of today (text received this morning). I've managed to connect WiFi with mobile, smart devices including amazon echo but my sky q box won't connect. I've followed all instructions multiple times, switched the box and hub on and off, pressing the wps button on the hub (not the box)  etc but no joy. I only have the sky q box (no mini box). The box is too far to try an ethernet cable. The hub is by the front window on a cabinet and the box is approx 5m away although through an internal wall (sky Bluetooth works through the wall). I've no other WiFi enabled devices such as monitors etc. Online instructions are just sending me in a repetitive circle of advice..... any ideas???

Best Answers
Linzi000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Linzi000 This message was authored by: Linzi000 Answer

Re: Sky Q network connection issues

After leaving both the hub and sky q box unplugged all day, I've switched them both on and it's connected by pressing the wps button on the hub.... saw that solution on someone else's post!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Linzi000 

Did you carry out a Network reset on the main Q box?

Linzi000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Linzi000 This message was authored by: Linzi000

hi @oldfella 

There is no reset option. I believe that option only shows if you're able to establish a connection which I am not able to do.

I forgot to add that onscreen after failing to connect it suggests trying again or I think to use a booster... I've tried repeatedly as well as switching the box and hub off repeatedly (ensuring I wait for a suitable time period before plugging back in and switching on).

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Get a 2 node wifi mesh. Plug one into the router (and disable the router's wifi) and the other into the Q and tell the Q to use ethernet.

Not a cheap solution. Powerlines worth considering too.

Oh - did you try a box reset in the installer menu? That sets up the networking from scratch.

Pressing the WPS button on the router when the Q isn't trying to initially set up wifi won't do anything.

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Linzi000

I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
Linzi000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Linzi000 This message was authored by: Linzi000 Answer

After leaving both the hub and sky q box unplugged all day, I've switched them both on and it's connected by pressing the wps button on the hub.... saw that solution on someone else's post!

This message was authored by Cazamena This message was authored by: Cazamena

I have the exact same issue as yours too getting nowhere

This message was authored by steveunsworth This message was authored by: steveunsworth

I have the same issue

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@steveunsworth @Cazamena 

If you are on sky broadband

try the steps in post 7 here and check out 8 too

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-q-box-not-linking-with-Wi-Fi/m-p/4504698#M618552

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion