Discussion topic: Sky Q mini Resolution

This message was authored by D.Harrison This message was authored by: D.Harrison

Sky Q mini Resolution

Hi,

I am considering upgrading to Sky Q with multiscreen, but cannot find a definitive answer on the max resolution from the SkyQ mini boxes. Some forums suggest it is limited to 720i, which would actually be a downgrade from my current Sky+HD mutiroom setup.

Please can you confirm what the output resoution is for Sky Q minis (when paired with an UDH Sky Q main box).

Also, are there any plans in the near future to support 4k UHD from the minis?

Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Q mini Resolution

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@D.Harrison wrote:

Please can you confirm what the output resoution is for Sky Q minis (when paired with an UDH Sky Q main box).

1080i or 1080p selectable in a menu.   Mini boxes can also output 720p or even 576p

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/changing-the-screen-resolution-setting 

No: they don't have HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 (and current main Q box hardware could not support UHD Mini boxes)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@D.Harrison wrote:

Hi,

I am considering upgrading to Sky Q with multiscreen, but cannot find a definitive answer on the max resolution from the SkyQ mini boxes. Some forums suggest it is limited to 720i, which would actually be a downgrade from my current Sky+HD mutiroom setup.

Thanks.

hi @D.Harrison 

SKy Minis native resolution is 1080i although it can be set to 1080p

There are no known plans to introduce 4K minis - existing minis don't have the hardware & with the introduction of SKY Stream are not likely to have new upgrades

D.Harrison
Topic Author
This message was authored by D.Harrison This message was authored by: D.Harrison

Will sky stream provide a solution to support 4k in multiple rooms then?

Is it worth me looking at that now rather thanSky Q (does it currently offer access to all the same content)?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@D.Harrison wrote:

Is it worth me looking at that now rather thanSky Q (does it currently offer access to all the same content)?

All Glass & Stream products support 4k, however you can only have one or the other you won't be able to mix Q with Stream/Glass.

Some channel may not be available on Glass and there are no +1 variants Glass channel lists here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@D.Harrison wrote:

@D.HarrisonYes BUT do your research as it is very very different from either +HD or Q, it also does not have as many channels.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@D.Harrison wrote:

Yes, but each UHD datastream is going to eat something like 25mbs of internet bandwidth, so 'average' Superfast FTTC can't be relied on to support more than two concurrent outputs at that resolution.  Realistically multiple Stream pucks running in UHD within a subscription address necessitates Ultrafast broadband, preferably FTTP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion