Discussion topic: Sky Q mini Box compatibility with Samsung TV

This message was authored by Marese73 This message was authored by: Marese73

Sky Q mini Box compatibility with Samsung TV

I have recently upgraded to SKY Q.  I took a Sky Q mini Box for multiroom.  Sky Q on the main TV is working fine, I have a Samsung plasma TV PS50C450B1 in the playroom and I wanted to put the mini box there.  my problem is that when I connect the mini box I have no picture and sound.  I thought maybe it was the TV was too old but I have a PS5 connected to this TV with no resolution issues etc 

When I reset the mini box, the welcome screen showed up perfect, please wait and you'll be ready to go soon etc. in a few moments the screen will go blank please don't turn off.  So when the screen goes blank and the mini box has fully rebooted i am back to no picture or sound.

I have disabled the anynet+ on it and tried home 1080 home.  I've updated the software on the TV i've tried turning one on first and then the other.  The mini box cable and ports are all fine, as they all work when connected to a different TV the problem is this TV and the mini box.  Samsung are no help.

From what I can see online, this seems to be a known issue, can anyone point me to a fix that's working?  Are the SKY hdmi cables directional? Would it make a difference If I change the cable to a non sky cable maybe?

Thanks for any help

Best Answers
Marese73
Topic Author
This message was authored by Marese73 This message was authored by: Marese73 Answer

Re: Sky Q mini Box compatibility with Samsung TV

@cuke You're right there, I have the main Sky Q box connected to a Samsung TV with no issues and I have other Samsung TVs in the house.  This TV is a 2010 model so I thought maybe too old but it runs the PS5 no problem.

I seem to have been able to solve the problem.  HDMI Lead.  When the SKY Q box was installed the engineer used the existing HDMI lead which was connected to my SKY+ box.  I changed leads and used the old one for the new mini box and TV which were having the problem.  This seemed to have sorted the problem.  

The only other thing I did differently was turned on the TV and plugged in the HDMI lead when the TV was on so that seemed to allow the TV to detect the resolution required and it then showed the SKY mini box on the screen.  Seems to be working ok now.  

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

I'd try a certified hdmi if I was you, they're cheap enough in the rain forest store.

Over in the Samsung AVS forum thread there are no reports of Samsung's having issues with SkyQ products and both my tv's are rock solid. Samsung outsell their nearest rivals almost 2 to 1, thus it can skew issues against them.

Marese73
Topic Author
This message was authored by Marese73 This message was authored by: Marese73 Answer

@cuke You're right there, I have the main Sky Q box connected to a Samsung TV with no issues and I have other Samsung TVs in the house.  This TV is a 2010 model so I thought maybe too old but it runs the PS5 no problem.

I seem to have been able to solve the problem.  HDMI Lead.  When the SKY Q box was installed the engineer used the existing HDMI lead which was connected to my SKY+ box.  I changed leads and used the old one for the new mini box and TV which were having the problem.  This seemed to have sorted the problem.  

The only other thing I did differently was turned on the TV and plugged in the HDMI lead when the TV was on so that seemed to allow the TV to detect the resolution required and it then showed the SKY mini box on the screen.  Seems to be working ok now.  

This message was authored by jon2018 This message was authored by: jon2018

Excellent advice. I changed hdmi lead and worked

This message was authored by ashernajmi This message was authored by: ashernajmi

Where did you connect the ends of your hdmi lead

Where did you connect the ends of your HDMI  cable please

Marese73
Topic Author
This message was authored by Marese73 This message was authored by: Marese73

One end into TV hdmi port and one end into sky mini box hdmi port.  Does this ans ur question? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion