Discussion topic: Sky-Q dropping off Wifi then joining my neighbours Router

This message was authored by Mayes64 This message was authored by: Mayes64

Sky-Q dropping off Wifi then joining my neighbours Router

My Sky-Q Box is constantly dropping off my Wi-Fi which is provided by BT but then tries to join my neighbours Sky router -  no Broadband access due to no password but still connects? I Then find when trying to re-pair my mini-boxes that these also try to join the same router overnight? All of my other devices have no such issue? Any ideas - really frustrating - constatntly entering my Wi-Fi SSID and password

Best Answers
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1 Answer

Re: Sky-Q dropping off Wifi then joining my neighbours Router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mayes64 wrote:

My Sky-Q Box is constantly dropping off my Wi-Fi which is provided by BT but then tries to join my neighbours Sky router -  no Broadband access due to no password but still connects? I Then find when trying to re-pair my mini-boxes that these also try to join the same router overnight? All of my other devices have no such issue? Any ideas - really frustrating - constatntly entering my Wi-Fi SSID and password

@Mayes64 can I ask how you know it's your neighbours wifi have you asked them if its their SSID.

When not on Sky broadband and connecting the mini boxes by wifi the mini boxes connect to the main Q box by way of a mesh(and not to your BT router) that the main box emits this will show as a Sky SSID 

Have you ever had Sky as your broadband provider

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1 Answer

@Mayes64 wrote:

@Mayes64 can I ask how you know it's your neighbours wifi have you asked them if its their SSID.

When not on Sky broadband and connecting the mini boxes by wifi the mini boxes connect to the main Q box by way of a mesh(and not to your BT router) that the main box emits this will show as a Sky SSID 

Have you ever had Sky as your broadband provider

This message was authored by Babetta This message was authored by: Babetta

Exactly what Laing said. You can rebuild your mesh from scratch to srop them from disconnecting. Go to evert minibox and turn off 2.4 ghz capacity (go on settings, press 001 then select and you'll see this setting). Once its off go to confirm and unplug minis. Go in the same menu on main box, go down to reset, chose first option,(reset settings). Box will go through a power cycle and nay disconnect from remote. If it doesn't react once it's asking you to press home when the screen goes blank, just press standby button on main box and once on press and hold 1 and 3 together on remote. You don't need to ho through the remote setup, you can just press home at this point. Go to your network settings and connect to your bt router the usual way with the password.  Then turn minis on 1 by 1 starting with nearest one. If they're not connecting you can help by wps between a connected and anon connected box (only evere 2 at the same time). Minis will stay on as long as main is connected. Ignore all this if you have a sky booster

Mayes64
Topic Author

@Laing1and @Babetta Thank you both - a few things to try and valuable information

Mayes64
Topic Author

@Laing1and @Babetta one more question. If the Main Box generates a mesh for connecting the Mini-boxes, why is it ensure for the Mini-box to be connected to the Wi-Fi Network - the mini-box does not work without this even if connected to the Main Sky Box through its Mesh

Mayes64
Topic Author

Essential not ensure for the Wifi Network to be connected to the Mini-boxes

No it shouldn't be connected to wifi network directly. They connect to the main box and that's what provides them with internet. That's why you'll see a sky ssid when lookibg at network on minis 

Mayes64
Topic Author

@Babetta- Again - very useful information - so any connectivity issues between the minboxes and main box is only via mesh and mini-box not connected to the Wi-Fi is not a cause of this?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Mayes64 wrote:

@Babetta- Again - very useful information - so any connectivity issues between the minboxes and main box is only via mesh and mini-box not connected to the Wi-Fi is not a cause of this?

@Mayes64 correct

if minis aren't connecting to the main box (or intermitently connecting) then a booster may be needed to sit halfway between the main Q box and the mini 

Yrs, a booster may be required but you have to be cautious with that - you cant turn 2.4 off on them so if you want one, you'll need to establish the booster as gateway device if it's in proximity of the bt router.  In that case you'll need to disable 2.4 on main box too. And dont start me on bt discs. If you have them, keep them well away from sky q nodes

Mayes64
Topic Author

@BabettaI do have BT Mini discs - come on - spill the beans what effects do they have?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Mayes64 wrote:

I believe they do connect to your network to discover the Q (it spams loads of broadcast traffic out) if you use ethernet but after that (or if you are using wifi between the mini and Q), unless you are on sky broadband they only talk direct to the Q (or another mini if that's closer on wifi)

pretty sure even the streaming apps go via the Q when using ethernet but never done any traffic analysis or seen any to verify that.

@Babetta wrote:

Yrs, a booster may be required but you have to be cautious with that - you cant turn 2.4 off on them so if you want one, you'll need to establish the booster as gateway device if it's in proximity of the bt router.  In that case you'll need to disable 2.4 on main box too. And dont start me on bt discs. If you have them, keep them well away from sky q nodes

I have my Q plugged directly into a BT disc. It always had massive problems using my mesh to get to the internet - would connect to a disc two rooms away with a rubbish signal instead of the one 5m from it - and dropping wifi was the only way to get it to behave. So mine does use the BT disc mesh but thinks it's just on ethernet.

Bt discs give extra opportunities for sky nodes to firm unwanted 2.4 uplinks. We don't want thst. We want all q traffic to go through the gateway box straight to main router. This is why discs should be well away from sky q nodes

Sorry you've lost me a bit. What's a "gateway box"?

You mean because the sky mesh can decide it will have a mini take over the internet connection?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion