Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by elmstar2 This message was authored by: elmstar2

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

Same here and still losing connection.

This message was authored by Gaz1 This message was authored by: Gaz1

I have some good news as I think I have found a temporary solution. At least until Sky fix the problem with the SkyQ Box.

I saw a post somewhere following a Google search for this problem, and found a chap that had subsequently connected his SkyQ via a 'Swith'. Not sure what switch it was but basicaly it ment his SkyQ was not connected directly to his Hub/Router and his problem went away.

Having read on here that replacement SkyQ boxes and or direct Ethernet connections also had a failiure rate. It wasn't looking good.

So yesterday i dug out my old  TP-Link RE200 range extender I had used a while back. Plugged it into my PC with ethernet cable and went through a new setup. Took it downstairs and plugged it into the hallway and then went into the SkyQ network settings and connected the TP-Link.

It stayed connected all afternoon until I had a broadband outage last night.(Virgin Maintenance)  When the broadband came back on I was thrilled to see the TP-Link had auto reconnected. I then swithed on my SkyQ this morning and guess what......Still connected!!

I think 4 hours is the most I ever had a direct connection for and it never reconnected itself. I always had to go back through the Reset process.

So although I am no tech...it appears the SkyQ does not cope with a direct connection for some strange reason.

Be aware of some of the newer range extenders though as i did read that the Deco Mesh does not work with SkyQ. But my older on does.

I have a Sky Engineer coming on the 16th so hopefully will be able to try and fathom this out.

This message was authored by elmstar2 This message was authored by: elmstar2

Sadly this hasn't worked for me. I have a switch connected to my network so I plugged the Sky box into that instead of directly into the router. 

I still lose connection and get the error "Connected to your router but there is no internet".....the internet I'm on now 🤔

Elmstar2,

I did have that exact error when I initially tried the TP-Link. If i tried to connect my phone to wifi via  the TP-Link it said Connected but no internet. It said the same on my Apple Mac.

I called the Customer Support to get help. I cannot recall the exact reason the lady gave for the issue but she said it was the setup in the TP-Link. That's when she got me to connect it to my PC with the ethernet. Seemed odd to connect it to my PC with no internet but HeyPresto...when i put the link she gave me into my web browser it bought up the TP-LInk settings. I went through the connection wizard that scanned and identified all the Hub/Router stuff both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. It did a reboot, i then plugged it in downstairs, connected it to SkyQ and it has now been connected for 24hrs. Both my phone and LAptop will also connect to the TP-Link.

Not sure if this helps Elmstar as I'm no tech and know nothing of 'switches' but for me it was not just a case of pairing the TP-Link to my Hub then to SkyQ, It was more technical.

This message was authored by joshvelcic This message was authored by: joshvelcic

We just had to replace our BT hub and now we are having this problem and it's driving me crazy. Did anyone find out how to fix it??

Thank you 

This message was authored by elmstar This message was authored by: elmstar

I have to say that, after a reboot of the Sky box, the addition of the switch (TP-Link etc) to the equation does seem to have worked!

Hopefully this isn't just a false dawn and it will continue to work until Sky manage to update their software to address this issue. 🤞

This message was authored by Spitty30 This message was authored by: Spitty30

The Sky booster has helped as it thinks it's connected to Sky broadband not EE. Could ask for one of those from Sky or like me ask for a direct connection to your router which may be only option. Hth 

Read the post i put above yours for help.

This message was authored by Beachmouse This message was authored by: Beachmouse

Also having these problems. Every single box is hard wired. Into a Netgear switch. It's the only thing in my house that disconnects. Every restart of the main box fixes the problem. 

Today alone I've done this SIX times. And yes, I've tried powering down the router, the main box and all minis - turning them on one at a time. It does NOT fix the problem. 

Sky Q has given me nothing but stress for years. It's not fit for purpose. 

I'm done with it. 

@Beachmouse Beachmouse,

I dont know if you read my post in reference to the TP_link range extender. In Brief....I am no tech but after doing some reading it became obvious  that the SkyQ box does not work well with a direct connection to Hubs / routers. Whether this is hard wired with ethernet or wifi.

We have seen that New SkyQ boxes make no difference or hard wiring or some switches.

The problem I see with swithces is that they are more of a socket extender. Like a plug socket extension to enable more appliances to be plugged in. So in theory still give a direct connection to the hub / router.

With a range extender you connect your SkyQ to the range extender and not the Hub. MIne was exactly the same as yours. 4 hours was about the longest connection I managed. When it had disconnected it would never reconnect.

After seting up and using the range extender it has been connected since Monday. And when Virgin did maintenance so the main Hub was off,  it reconnected itself as soon as the Router / hub came back on.

Obviously there is flaw with the SkyQ box software but i'm more than happy to run with the TP-LInk extender and a constant connection until They fix it.

This message was authored by Graham22 This message was authored by: Graham22

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of competition for Sky. I think Virgin only offer their TV service if you take their graduand.

This message was authored by Graham22 This message was authored by: Graham22

'broadband'

Just a quick update following my post for using the TP-Link range extender.

I have now had full uninterupted connection since Monday 6th. After a Hub reboot it instantly reconnected. Unplugged and plugged back in Range extender and it again connected instantly.

This message was authored by Beachmouse This message was authored by: Beachmouse

Thanks for the reply, @Gaz1. I've ordered a WiFi range extender so I can test this set up. Absolute madness if it works. 

Sky's software engineers need to hang their heads in shame. SkyQ offers so much promise but their software sucks. 

I have so many devices across my house which never disconnect. This one is embarrassing for Sky. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gaz1 wrote:

@Beachmouse Beachmouse,

I dont know if you read my post in reference to the TP_link range extender. In Brief....I am no tech but after doing some reading it became obvious  that the SkyQ box does not work well with a direct connection to Hubs / routers. Whether this is hard wired with ethernet or wifi.

We have seen that New SkyQ boxes make no difference or hard wiring or some switches.

The problem I see with swithces is that they are more of a socket extender. Like a plug socket extension to enable more appliances to be plugged in. So in theory still give a direct connection to the hub / router.

With a range extender you connect your SkyQ to the range extender and not the Hub. MIne was exactly the same as yours. 4 hours was about the longest connection I managed. When it had disconnected it would never reconnect.

After seting up and using the range extender it has been connected since Monday. And when Virgin did maintenance so the main Hub was off,  it reconnected itself as soon as the Router / hub came back on.

Obviously there is flaw with the SkyQ box software but i'm more than happy to run with the TP-LInk extender and a constant connection until They fix it.

This is very interesting because my stable setup uses a wifi mesh node off the back of the Q via ethernet, and ethernet via powerlines for the minis, direct to the Q. There's a small switch in there to get powerline, Q and mesh node all talking since there's only one rj45 socket on the Q. I had assumed the stability was down to removing wifi but maybe it was thanks to the mix of physical transports.

I did test over ethernet direct to the router and it worked fine but didn't leave it in place more than a day or two.

I wouldn't call a switch analogous to a simple socket extender. Ethernet hubs were like that but they went the way of the dinosaurs. Switches have intelligence that knows which destination port the packets coming through should be sent to. The idea that they could still persist the same issue as a direct connection, maybe caused at a higher level in the network stack, is sound though.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion