Discussion topic: Sky Q box lost connection to BT Broadband (Superfast) and new Box sent, SAME PROBLEM, Then!!!

This message was authored by Lee+is This message was authored by: Lee+is

Sky Q box lost connection to BT Broadband (Superfast) and new Box sent, SAME PROBLEM, Then!!!

On Monday 16th September Sky Q box 2TB lost internet connection. Repeated off/on scenarios 4 times. Each time would connect for 35 seconds, then lose connection, again! Realising maybe a tech issue, called Sky. Very helpful and "as was before 11:30am will send a new box, delivery tomorrow". Fantastic, I thought! Yes, box delivered Tuesday 17th September. Set it up AND! Same problem!! Rang Sky. Very helpful, HOWEVER! "When did you get the box, as we are not showing that you have got a new box?!" Erm, today 17th September! "Ok, strange. It may take 24 hours to register it! I will call you back tomorrow?" Erm, ok! Agent called back as promised on Wednesday 18th. "Still not showing as you receiving the box, can I call again tomorrow?" Frustrated, I agreed, AGAIN! Thursday 19th, NO CALL BACK! I called Sky. Explained scenario. "You shouldn't have been sent a new box, an engineer should have been booked!" WHAT, ERM, EH? So what has that got to do with me, I was directed too by Sky, assuming the new box was the resolution? "We will have to book an engineer, but could take upto 72 hours to arrange as the issue was only registered on Wednesday 18th September!!" WHAT, ERM, EH? Can you speak to the back office and explain the situation? "No we can't do that!" Can I speak to a manager? "No there is no manager and they would only say the same as I'm telling you anyway!" WHAT, ERM, EH? After further frustrations explained, as to the total lack of communication and customer service, all of a sudden "a manager was available, who would try to get hold of back office, but we will have to call you back tomorrow!" Friday 20th September. Sky called. "We can only arrange for an engineer to come out but cannot give you a date yet as back office still has not been notified that you have a new box and this won't be until Monday 21st September as it's a working day!" Saturday 20th at 8:05am I received a generic email with an engineer appointment date of  "FRIDAY 4th OCTOBER"! 19days with no Sky service at all! Today, Monday 23rd September, Sky called. "So we've booked the engineer and the earliest is Friday 4th October!" Explained this is  totally unacceptable. "Nothing we can do, why don't you check the MySky app to see if there is a cancellation for you to change it too??"  WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO CHECK?????? Surely under the circumstances a priority exception could be arranged? Is Sky lacking engineers on the ground? Can Sky, please communicate within their organisation more cohesively? I could go on, but if you are still reading this, I've got nowhere and await 4th

October! Very unhappy SKY CUSTOMER 

Best Answers
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven Answer

Re: Sky Q box lost connection to BT Broadband (Superfast) and new Box sent, SAME PROBLEM, Then!!!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lee+is wrote:

I've had the box for 5+ years with NO issues until now! Nothing has changed tbh

The software/firmware on both the hub and the Q box have though in your 5+ years of useage.

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 and the firmware was last updated in July tbh

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Sky Q box lost connection to BT Broadband (Superfast) and new Box sent, SAME PROBLEM, Then!!!

Remember you're posting to other customers here and not Sky.

Your post is very hard to read as your return key appears to be broken?

Yes, Sky have reduced the number of engineers due to the switch to streaming.  Appointments can be many weeks out.  (There is no 'priority' unless you have insurance cover)

Dropping of internet connection is often a configuration issue with the router - and mesh services will often drop as they are not really supported other than via Ethernet.

Perhaps you can explain in a bit more detail about your internet setup and we may be able to assist...  Ensure 5GHz steering is disabled - it's actually best to create split SSID's to ensure 2.4GHz is being used as Sky will only use this frequency with a 3rd party broadband.  (Steering to 5GHz will see the connection drop)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Lee+is
Topic Author

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven Answer

@Lee+is wrote:

The software/firmware on both the hub and the Q box have though in your 5+ years of useage.

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 and the firmware was last updated in July tbh

Lee+is
Topic Author

This is now a NEW Sky Q box and the same issue

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Lee+is wrote:

Which would lean towards the router config causing the issue?

Is Ethernet viable?  (At least to test it)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@Lee+is wrote:

So it is a hub issue then, can you connect via ethernet to see if that solves the problem?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion