Discussion topic: Sky Q & Sky glass TV

This message was authored by TEdmon This message was authored by: TEdmon

Sky Q & Sky glass TV

Please can I get some advice.

i have Sky Q and have been offered a reasonably priced Sky glass TV.

i can't switch to Sky Glass as I live rural and internet connection is poor, so still need a satellite dish.

is it worth me buying the Sky glass TV for quality? Or is ordinary LED TV best? 
thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q & Sky glass TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TEdmon wrote:

Please can I get some advice.

i have Sky Q and have been offered a reasonably priced Sky glass TV.

i can't switch to Sky Glass as I live rural and internet connection is poor, so still need a satellite dish.

thanks 

hi @TEdmon 

SKy Glass is quite niche & I think almost everyone would do better by looking at other TVs

SKY Glass is not like other smart TVs and really is only of benefit for those who want the SKY functionality  - for example, I believe,  the Freeview Terrestrial tuner is only accessible when broadband is switched off

Also, SKY Glass TVs themselves are , in TV terms, quite old now and even when they first came out, their only real advantage was the SKY functionality which was not available at that time in stand alone stream / pucks

Since SKY Stream was introduced I think most here would generally advise people to get stream and look elsewhere for a TV rather than get Glass  if they want to switch to SKY streaming  - which is not what you wish at this point anyway.

Thus as you can gather I would not recommend a SKY Glass TV for yourself

This message was authored by Bulls1974 This message was authored by: Bulls1974

Sky Glass TV's are neither latest technology or new products. If you have a poor  internet connection there is NO point in buying a Glass TV, and imho very little point if you have great internet connection speeds.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TEdmon wrote:

have been offered a reasonably priced Sky glass TV.

The Glass television is now over three years old (so realistically contains four year old pandemic-era technology) and wasn't glowingly reviewed at the time.  Any mid-price television released since then is likely to be 'better' (and OLED/Mini-LED certainly so) unless you really value the design aesthetic or the built-in audio.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@TEdmon 

BTW One further key point 

SKY systems are not geared up to selling SKY Glass a separate TV without the SKY Glass associated subscription and thus taking out an offer from SKy would likely cause your SKY Q subscription to be transferred causing disruption / problems.

Some customers have switched to SKY Glass and then managed to switch back  after  trialing it - but this not quite the same as buying SKY Glass as a Stand alone TV without the associated SKY Glass TV subsription, which, as I say, SKY is not really set up for. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion