Discussion topic: Sky Q Eco mode

This message was authored by SidV This message was authored by: SidV

Sky Q Eco mode

Have just got a Sky Q box (1TB UHD) and am a bit confused by the power consumption modes. I understand that Eco mode uses the least power (0.4W/hr), and active standby uses around 17W/hr. However Eco mode is only on for just over 3 hours per day, whereas for the rest of the day the box is either on (20W/hr) or in normal standby. There is, I believe, no way to manually put the box into Eco mode standby, so is it really worth the bother? Am I missing something?

Best Answers
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81 Answer

Re: Sky Q Eco mode

Just remember that If you manually put the box into eco mode it won't make any scheduled recordings. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SidV wrote:

Am I missing something?

No.  The usage is fairly insignificant however you look at it.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@SidV wrote:

Have just got a Sky Q box (1TB UHD) and am a bit confused by the power consumption modes. I understand that Eco mode uses the least power (0.4W/hr), and active standby uses around 17W/hr. However Eco mode is only on for just over 3 hours per day, whereas for the rest of the day the box is either on (20W/hr) or in normal standby. There is, I believe, no way to manually put the box into Eco mode standby, so is it really worth the bother? Am I missing something?

Hi @SidV 

Pressing and holding the standby button (on the Q box) for 10 secs or more when switching off will put Q boxes into Eco standby.

SidV
Topic Author

Thanks a lot. I'll try that.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81 Answer

Just remember that If you manually put the box into eco mode it won't make any scheduled recordings. 

SidV
Topic Author

If I manually put the box into Eco mode, will it stay in Eco mode until I manually take it out of that mode (e.g. if I'm on holiday), or will it automatically come out of Eco mode at 05.45 the next morning?

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@SidV wrote:

If I manually put the box into Eco mode, will it stay in Eco mode until I manually take it out of that mode (e.g. if I'm on holiday), or will it automatically come out of Eco mode at 05.45 the next morning?

I do not force my main box into eco mode, but do have the setting on so it goes into that mode at 2:45am and out of it at 5:45am.
That has worked fine for the 7 or so years I have had Sky Q.

I do though every morning (after watching in bed has finished), force my mini into that mode.
No point in wasting electricity with it being on all day, with no watching. It may be a small amount, but with other non used devices off too it all adds up.
I keep the power switch pressed for a count of 30, until I see the power light turn red.
It will though restart again at 5:45am.

So is only a day by day manual saving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream with two pucks (Former Sky Q and Sky+ customer), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion