Discussion topic: Sky Q Basic / Essentials

This message was authored by K499 This message was authored by: K499

Sky Q Basic / Essentials

I have already cancelled my sky broadband service which is due to be taken over by another provider in the next few weeks. I was wondering is there a way i can keep my sky q box on a basic plan that just included the freeview channels and recording as a backup to my new sercvice which is going to be provided by EE over the internet just incase the internet is down i will still be able to watch tv. the reason is i dont have good areal recption where i live and would like the satellite service as a backup. I have looked at freesat box but i would rather keep my sky box as i a used to the interface even if i have to pay a small monthly fee for the privalage. Is this anyting that anyone has done with any sucess or do you have to take sky signiture pack as a minimum. 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q Basic / Essentials

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@K499 wrote:

I have already cancelled my sky broadband service which is due to be taken over by another provider in the next few weeks. I was wondering is there a way i can keep my sky q box on a basic plan that just included the freeview channels and recording as a backup to my new sercvice which is going to be provided by EE over the internet just incase the internet is down i will still be able to watch tv. the reason is i dont have good areal recption where i live and would like the satellite service as a backup. I have looked at freesat box but i would rather keep my sky box as i a used to the interface even if i have to pay a small monthly fee for the privalage. Is this anyting that anyone has done with any sucess or do you have to take sky signiture pack as a minimum. 

as your post titles says there is the Sky Essentials package @K499 

With this basic package you don't need Sky Signature 

See following link 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-essentials

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@K499  You can downgrade to the essentials package for a monthly fee this will give you want you want 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
K499
Topic Author

Thanks @oldfella and @SKY1992bf  for that bit of infomation i will give sky a call once my new service is active and explain i would like to dowgrade to TV Essentials. Ill post an update with how i get on. 

K499
Topic Author

Just an update  @oldfella and @SKY1992bf my new services from EE are active and i have spoken to sky today. The advisor was abit reluctant at first telling me that it was a old package option but i was able to downgrade to Essentials TV which is perfect for  my use case and as a back up for my new IPTV system from EE. 

Just a side note for anyone else that is thinking of doing the same the standerd chanels such as BBC 1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five are all HD and you can record them, Also ITV 2, 3,4 are all HD as well. I have added this as this was one of the questions i couldnt answer when i was doing my reasearch into what Essentials TV was as Sky dont seem to publish a Channels list for this package.

Thank you both again for you help. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion