Discussion topic: Sky Q Apps pixelating

This message was authored by Chris1968uk This message was authored by: Chris1968uk

Re: Sky Q Apps pixelating

So I contacted Aky this evening, started to explain my issue, from checking my records the tech instantly stated my SkyQ box was old and not HDR compatible which is probably why I am getting the pixelation issues.

A new SkyQ HDR compatible box is on it way to me, 3-5 days and this should sort the issue out.

Im hopeful, but let's see 🙂

This message was authored by ODW73 This message was authored by: ODW73

I posted to this group on in August. I had an engineer out and several calls to SKY. Last week Sky informed me my SKY Q box was not HDR compatible. New box arrived on Saturday, hardware version 32b107. Pixilation issue is now gone.  Previously  I was unable to watch a series on Amazon prime via old sky Q box due to it pixelating every five minutes. I watched it over the weekend on the new box and had no issues. 

This message was authored by Peteh55 This message was authored by: Peteh55

I had a new hdr compatible box a year or two ago but pixelation is dreadful. As are Sky support. Appalling service 

This message was authored by type-r This message was authored by: type-r

@Peteh55 wrote:

I had a new hdr compatible box a year or two ago but pixelation is dreadful. As are Sky support. Appalling service 

What's your hardware version? Can be found using: Settings -> System -> System Info.

This message was authored by JibbaJoy This message was authored by: JibbaJoy

What was interesting that when the sky engineer connected up my replacement box (with ext psu) that it has a distinctly louder fan (very noisey) when 1st switched on but it does quieten down in several distinct stages to almost inaudible. After a power reset I can hear the fan for a few seconds but not as loud as the initial boot-up!

I can't say I ever heard the fan of my original box so perhaps these modesl have an improved temperature controlled fan to help it run cooler when required.

SkyQ [H/W:32B106] + 3 mini
Samsung 55" Neo QLED UHD TV
Swish Fibre 150 Symetrical
Linksys MX5400 Mesh network
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Peteh55 wrote:

Yes my bix is HDR too

does yours have an external PSU brick?

This message was authored by Mayesyboy This message was authored by: Mayesyboy

I called Sky again yesterday for the 3rd time about the pixelating issue. It's been going on for about 3-4 months now with my box.. We went through the usual steps of "checking software" , "refreshing apps" but I then watched a movie on Netflix last night with constant pixelation. The sky support guy even told me "it wasn't worth booking an engineer visit" nor " replacing the box," right now as they still didn't know what was causing the pixelation issues. I also occasionally have issues when I play recordings with the sound going or the picture freezing.

It sounds from some other replies that people are beginning to think replacing the box solves it?

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@Mayesyboy wrote:

It sounds from some other replies that people are beginning to think replacing the box solves it?

It might, but only because not everyone seems to get this issue, which I suspect is why it is taking so long to pin down the problem with the amount of variables in play (different apps, boxes and network conditions).

As of this morning, the answer in post 2 remains the latest news, there is no current fix, investigations are ongoing and the advice is that if you suffer from this issue but have access to another device or apps on your TV, use them instead.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

And honestly, I'd rather do that than have a v2 box. I don't need another brick behind the TV 😁

This message was authored by Bulldog1956 This message was authored by: Bulldog1956

Ok, so it seems from posts that it is the old 32B0 Boxes with an internal power supply that have an issue and I need to contact Sky and request a newer 32B1 (external power supply) box to resolve this.

I’m not very “techie” so can someone explain the difference between internal and external power supply please? Will we loose stuff we have downloaded if we upgrade the box?

And what on earth is a PSU brick🤔😂

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@Bulldog1956 wrote:

Ok, so it seems from posts that it is the old 32B0 Boxes with an internal power supply that have an issue and I need to contact Sky and request a newer 32B1 (external power supply) box to resolve this.

"Seems", not confirmed.

I have a newer box and have had the same issues.

@Bulldog1956 wrote:

Will we loose stuff we have downloaded if we upgrade the box?

Yes, but you can download it again.

@Bulldog1956 wrote:

And what on earth is a PSU brick

Older boxes (silver bottom), had an external PSU, on newer boxes it is internal.

External PSUExternal PSU

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by IWMC This message was authored by: IWMC

@Daniel-F   is anyone at Sky attemptiong to resolve this technical issue?  I'm sure we would all appreciate some more positive feedback.  Reading these posts,  it would appear to me that whilst Sky customers have had to resort to attempting various convoluted but unsuccessful fixes for this issue, this is a failure within Sky's network/setup/hardware/software (I don't really care what) that needs to be fixed.  It is evident that we are all paying for a substandard service.

It's not really good enough Sky!

This message was authored by Peteh55 This message was authored by: Peteh55

No internal

This message was authored by Therealtony This message was authored by: Therealtony

I have spoken to Sky on the phone several times and the best I got was that my problem had been escalated to their tech team. I asked whether I would get an update from the tech team or some kind of progress report but the answer was NO , so I think that escalating is the same as parking/binning. I have also "chatted" with someone/something who promised to get me to someone who could help - then went silent

up till now I have been happy with Sky customer service but on this issue they have been appalling.

Come on Sky - get a grip - sort it out or at least tell us what is happening and when we can expect a fix. We all spend a lot of money on your services and we deserve better

This message was authored by StephenTod This message was authored by: StephenTod

I am seeing the same thing.  Given this thread, it is clearly a common problem so it is disappointing Sky are denying there is an issue.  Meanwhile I have received an email from Sky advising that prices are going up in November and if I don't like it, then I can cancel my subscription.  Looks like they no longer want our custom, which is a bizarre business plan because if this is not resolved soon I will cancel my subscription.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion