Discussion topic: Sky/Freeview Satellite LPN issue

This message was authored by DanHeronwood1 This message was authored by: DanHeronwood1

Sky/Freeview Satellite LPN issue

Hello, 

We recently moved house and have a sky satelite dish and want to set this up to be able to access freeview. 

Our aerial does not work so we understand we have to make a change to the LPN on the sky dish. 

Does anyone have any advice for the best way to approach this. We have a freeview box that works from a previous home and attached to the two satelite cables and recognises all the channels but does not display anything. 

Seems a bit of an off thing to search for looking for a particular engineer as it is obviously a sky/freeview issue.

Thanks in advance fo anyones thoughsts.

Dan,

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Sky/Freeview Satellite LPN issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

Hello, 

We recently moved house and have a sky satelite dish and want to set this up to be able to access freeview. 

Our aerial does not work so we understand we have to make a change to the LPN on the sky dish. 

Does anyone have any advice for the best way to approach this. We have a freeview box that works from a previous home and attached to the two satelite cables and recognises all the channels but does not display anything. 

Seems a bit of an off thing to search for looking for a particular engineer as it is obviously a sky/freeview issue.

Dan,

If your dish has a wideband LNB (low Noise Block) as used by SKY Q then you could get a new 4K freesat box which can handle both the Wideband LNBs and older style  (universal) LNBs

I don't know if that would be cheaper than getting the LNB changed 

(I assume you do mean Freesat and not Freeview - the latter being terrestrial TV form Land based Transmitters)

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@DanHeronwood1 If you want to use it for Freesat then you just need to call a local satellite installation company and pay for them to fit a standard LNB, Sky won't do it for you unless you have a valid active Sky subscription and can persuade them you need a hybrid LNB.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

Hello, 

Dan,

If your dish has a wideband LNB (low Noise Block) as used by SKY Q then you could get a new 4K freesat box which can handle both the Wideband LNBs and older style  (universal) LNBs

I don't know if that would be cheaper than getting the LNB changed 

(I assume you do mean Freesat and not Freeview - the latter being terrestrial TV form Land based Transmitters)

DanHeronwood1
Topic Author
This message was authored by DanHeronwood1 This message was authored by: DanHeronwood1

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

 Thanks both for the updates. It is one of these dishes. Will try and get a better pic. Not sure if immediately obvious from this?

DanHeronwood1
Topic Author

Annoyingly our aerial doesn't seem to pickup any signal out in the countyside.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

 Thanks both for the updates. It is one of these dishes. Will try and get a better pic. Not sure if immediately obvious from this?

hi @DanHeronwood1 

It is quite difficult to tell but to me it doesn't look like a SKY issued LNB - although I am not familiar with them all  but it could be still be a wideband LNB - it does look like this one I found

Wideband LNB 

If you really want to know you/a family member/ friend may be able to find a model number on it if someone has a ladder - otherwise you may need to get an independent Satellite installer to advise

DanHeronwood1
Topic Author

Great, will look into that thanks. Will get a better look at it. Would a 4K box work with a regular hd 1080p old samsung smart tv?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DanHeronwood1 

Note that it's LNB (for Low-Noise Block downconverter) and Freesat rather than Freeview, otherwise things get confusing.

'Freesat 4K' branded boxes work with both Sky+ and Sky Q LNBs, but typically require being left overnight connected to dish and internet to update their firmware before becoming usable.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

Great, will look into that thanks. Will get a better look at it. Would a 4K box work with a regular hd 1080p old samsung smart tv?

Yes - the 4K is slightly restricted as only the apps can work at 4K anyway - there are no Freesat satellite 4K channels on the Astra2 (UK taregetted) Satellites

DanHeronwood1
Topic Author

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

Hi all, 

Thanks again for the advice. 

I checked that I definelty have a Sky wideband LNB (terrible pic, but can see it fine.)

I bought a 4K freesat box.

Getting stuck on the no signal screen, but the images attached show that it is connected to the wi-fi and recognises a wideband satelitte signal. 

Guessing I just leave it to update now. I don't seem to get any option to change my postcode as the instructions recommend. It is on W1T, which is London. Perhaps that comes up when it sorts itself out. 

Fingers crossed!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

Guessing I just leave it to update now.

Given one of those screenshots show a firmware date of 18 February 2022, then yes: it's been sitting in a box for a while...

The Freesat website lists four releases since version 1.4.3

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/4k-tv-boxes/software-updates 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@DanHeronwood1 wrote.........Guessing I just leave it to update now. 

Freesat 4K Boxes receive software updates and install them automatically whilst in standby.  You can update your software by carrying out the following simple steps: 

1. Check that both your satellite cables are connected to the box. (RF IN 1 & RF IN 2) 
  2. Ensure your box is plugged in and keep the power supply connected to the box.  
  3. Leave the box switched on for 30 minutes.  
  4. After 30 minutes press the standby button on the remote control or the box to set the box to standby mode.  Please do not remove power supply to the box. 
  5. Wait 10 seconds and press the standby button again to switch on your device.  The box may show a loading screen. Wait for this to finish and then complete the on-screen instructions to set up the box.  
  6. If after the setup of your device regional channels are not available such as BBC One on 101 and ITV/STV/UTV on 103, go to “Home” on your remote control then select “settings”.  From “settings” select “Freesat channels” and then “Begin channel scan”.  Follow the on-screen instructions entering your postcode when requested to restore your local channels.

Godfrey.

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

Hi all, 

Thanks again for the advice. 

I checked that I definelty have a Sky wideband LNB (terrible pic, but can see it fine.)

I bought a 4K freesat box.

Getting stuck on the no signal screen, but the images attached show that it is connected to the wi-fi and recognises a wideband satelitte signal. 

Guessing I just leave it to update now. I don't seem to get any option to change my postcode as the instructions recommend. It is on W1T, which is London. Perhaps that comes up when it sorts itself out. 

Fingers crossed!

Hi @DanHeronwood1 

It seems the 4K Freesat boxes can be a little tempermental at first to recognise the Wideband LNBs

Edit I linked to @Godfrey 's notes in an old discussion but whilst I was writing, he kindly posted the notes here 🙂 

Although I think this may not work immediately - I think most people find after doing this & leaving overnight it does work

DanHeronwood1
Topic Author

Update: It's working. Thanks so much so the assistance. Seemed a really easy thing to solve at first but realised it required the help of people who knew more than I did. I will pass on my knowledge! 

@DanHeronwood1 wrote:

Update: It's working. Thanks so much so the assistance. Seemed a really easy thing to solve at first but realised it required the help of people who knew more than I did. I will pass on my knowledge! 

Great news 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion