Discussion topic: Setting up Sky Q as Wi-Fi Extenders.

This message was authored by Wee+Jock This message was authored by: Wee+Jock

Setting up Sky Q as Wi-Fi Extenders.

Good evening all,

Today I have changed my broadband provider from BT to Sky.

Due to having a Victorian house with thick stone walls I had BT Complete Wi-Fi with the BT disc.

I have a  Sky Q main box which is linked to two Sky Q Mini boxes by Ethernet cable.

I have my broadband up and running which appears to be working well. The question I have is: Can I set up the Sky Q boxes as Wi-Fi extenders / boosters to improve my Wi-Fi range throughout the house but still have my Sky Q boxes set up to connect to each other via Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi?

Many thanks,

Innes

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Setting up Sky Q as Wi-Fi Extenders.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wee+Jock wrote:

Hi Oldfella,

Many thanks for responding to my question.

So my next question is: By having the Wi-Fi enabled on the Sky Q boxes, will this override the wired connection between the boxes? I'd much rather keep the wired option given the stone walls in my house.

Cheers,

Innes

Hi @Wee+Jock 

Best way is to carry out a Network reset on each box with the Ethernet connected.

If all boxes are connected by Ethernet start with the main Q box.

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side.

On main box if Ethernet connected select connect wired to Sky router.    Do not carry out any WPS and wait for the box to connect.  It may take a minute or so.

If it doesn't connect there is an issue with the Ethernet.

Carry out a Network reset on all minis and again do not do any WPS if connected by Ethernet.

Carrying out the above should force the boxes to use Ethernet but the WiFi will still be on to give Hotspots.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Wee+Jock wrote:

Good evening all,

Today I have changed my broadband provider from BT to Sky.

Due to having a Victorian house with thick stone walls I had BT Complete Wi-Fi with the BT disc.

I have a  Sky Q main box which is linked to two Sky Q Mini boxes by Ethernet cable.

I have my broadband up and running which appears to be working well. The question I have is: Can I set up the Sky Q boxes as Wi-Fi extenders / boosters to improve my Wi-Fi range throughout the house but still have my Sky Q boxes set up to connect to each other via Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi?

Many thanks,

Innes

Hi @Wee+Jock 

With Sky Broadband all Q box are Automatically WiFi Hotspots provided you do not switch off the WiFi in the Q boxes

Wee+Jock
Topic Author

Hi Oldfella,

So my next question is: By having the Wi-Fi enabled on the Sky Q boxes, will this override the wired connection between the boxes? I'd much rather keep the wired option given the stone walls in my house.

Cheers,

Innes

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Wee+Jock wrote:

Hi Oldfella,

Cheers,

Innes

It should not, Q should use the best connection available which would be Ethernet.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Wee+Jock wrote:

Hi Oldfella,

Cheers,

Innes

Hi @Wee+Jock 

Best way is to carry out a Network reset on each box with the Ethernet connected.

If all boxes are connected by Ethernet start with the main Q box.

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side.

On main box if Ethernet connected select connect wired to Sky router.    Do not carry out any WPS and wait for the box to connect.  It may take a minute or so.

If it doesn't connect there is an issue with the Ethernet.

Carry out a Network reset on all minis and again do not do any WPS if connected by Ethernet.

Carrying out the above should force the boxes to use Ethernet but the WiFi will still be on to give Hotspots.

Wee+Jock
Topic Author

Good morning @oldfella,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. It was very easy to follow too.

I spent a couple of hours googling and it never seems to give you the answer you're looking for - forums are the way to go!!

cheers.

Innes

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion