Discussion topic: Samsung Smart TV no long recognised SkyQ box other than as generic cable

This message was authored by Jenny+wwh This message was authored by: Jenny+wwh

Samsung Smart TV no long recognised SkyQ box other than as generic cable

We had a happy house and it's all fallen apart this morning. 15Jan2024.

We have Sky Q and big Samsung TV in Lounge and SkyMinQ + small  Samsung TV in other room.

They used to work interchangably and when setting up the Samsung it recognised the SkyQ for what is was and both remotes could be used to drive either the TV (direct a with smart services) or the Sky Q box.

You could press home -> sideways to Sky Q then up to Guide/recordings etc. This was very similar to the Terrestial TV service on the Samsung direct.

It fell apart this morning - first symptom was the sound bar ( hdmi connected ) stoped working and was not selectable in settings -> Sound.  After a bit of tidying up ( removing an old Sky+ box)  and restting the HDMIs connections. This seemed to trigger a reset and now the TV only see the Sky Q box as a generic Set top box.  

This used to work better - Has Samsung updated and fogoten about how to interoperate with Sky Q or has Sky Q changed how it works and cant be detected by the Samsung TV ?    or did I missing something in the set up. 
Samsung TV is a  MU6400 bought in 2018.

On the other TV a smaller Smasung the SkyQ minibox picture is out of resolution (image 10x to large for scree)  and ther device type is not recognised as a SkyQ box

Best Answers
This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat Answer

Re: Samsung Smart TV no long recognised SkyQ box other than as generic cable

@Jenny+wwh 

I've had this before with a Samsung NU7400 TV. I found that if you remove and replace the HDMI cable in the back of the TV whilst the TV is turned on, it usually rescans the device and will find the correct information to allow you to control it. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat Answer

@Jenny+wwh 

I've had this before with a Samsung NU7400 TV. I found that if you remove and replace the HDMI cable in the back of the TV whilst the TV is turned on, it usually rescans the device and will find the correct information to allow you to control it. 

Jenny+wwh
Topic Author

Thanks so much @Jones_The_Cat   - that was the hint we needed.

There were a couple of things going on.

1: Did the HDMI pull and reseat and this triggered the device manual setup needed. Going down the settop box route the critical setting that was needed is the "Set up your service provider" that needed to be set to SkyQ.

2:  HDMI port 1 on the TV seem to have a fault where by the image goes black for 2 seconds every 10 seconds. I did see this behaviour when I was trying to get the soundbar working yesterday. Moving the Sky Q box to HDMI2 has resolved all the issues. ( Soundbar in HDMI 3 ARC socket) 

This is the critical step in the configuration of the Sky Q set top box.,

IMG_1225.jpeg

Jenny+wwh
Topic Author

.. and finally looks like it was a bad HDMI cable not a bad port on the TV that caused the intermittant blackouts.

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Jenny+wwh 

Glad you've got it sorted! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion