Discussion topic: Restart Sky Q Box

This message was authored by JFM1 This message was authored by: JFM1

Restart Sky Q Box

Is there some way to do a "proper" restart of the Sky Q box with the remote control?

By "proper" I mean the same sort of restart as switching it off at the wall socket and back on again.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Restart Sky Q Box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JFM1 

The reboot does involve turning it off at the plug. Is that a problem? 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@JFM1 wrote:

Is there some way to do a "proper" restart of the Sky Q box with the remote control?

By "proper" I mean the same sort of restart as switching it off at the wall socket and back on again.

hi @JFM1 

No, there is no option from within the GUI to perform the equivalent of a power down restart I am afraid

This message was authored by User-FriendLee This message was authored by: User-FriendLee

Why hasn't this simple functionality been implemented. These devices crash/lose connection on a regular basis and the only way to resolve the issue is by performing a full, ungraceful power cycle. I can't help but feel that this causes harm to the hardware/software and I expect that my SkyQ boxes will eventually shown signs of abuse in time, through no fault of my own. Sky advertised this product as "fluid viewing"... at the moment it's "Frequent unplugging,"

This message was authored by GeorgeJ2024 This message was authored by: GeorgeJ2024

Secret:

Settings, Setup, Preferences, Change Maximum Recording to 5 or 6. It will advise the box needs to restart. Press Okay and it will then reboot. 

This message was authored by Gauntlet-Guy This message was authored by: Gauntlet-Guy

Yes. I came here looking for the same reboot for the same reasons. 

the other feature option is to have a way to simply force reset the WiFi connection, without having to clearl the settings and key in the network key again. 

it is a constant and infuriating issue of the box losing connect ion, some time as immediately after reconnecting it!!!!

i then have to reset the network on the box keying in the long key. 
Or use my router app to reboot my ASUS router. Kicking everything and everyone off the internet. All because the one stupid thing to not be able to connect is the sky Q. 

God i hope virgin will run a cable down my drive!!!!!!!! 

This message was authored by SophieKR This message was authored by: SophieKR

This is excellent, thank you.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@User-FriendLee wrote:

Why hasn't this simple functionality been implemented. These devices crash/lose connection on a regular basis and the only way to resolve the issue is by performing a full, ungraceful power cycle. I can't help but feel that this causes harm to the hardware/software and I expect that my SkyQ boxes will eventually shown signs of abuse in time, through no fault of my own. Sky advertised this product as "fluid viewing"... at the moment it's "Frequent unplugging,"

I do like that hack above of changing the max recordings.

But I'm not sure how you would ever expect to reboot a crashed box via a remote. You can hold down the power button on the front of the box to force a reboot.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion