Discussion topic: Q box stuck on blue screen

This message was authored by nc2211 This message was authored by: nc2211

Q box stuck on blue screen

for past couple weeks my main Q box has needed a hard reset frequently. It's stuck, the fan is loud, and only unplugged mains and reconnect works.

Until today when the screen is saying 'when screen goes blank press home to get started' and that's it. Fan gets gradually louder and it's just hung for minutes on end. sounds like a box replacement is required unless there are any other ideas? Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Re: Q box stuck on blue screen

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nc2211 wrote:

for past couple weeks my main Q box has needed a hard reset frequently. It's stuck, the fan is loud, and only unplugged mains and reconnect works.

Until today when the screen is saying 'when screen goes blank press home to get started' and that's it. Fan gets gradually louder and it's just hung for minutes on end. sounds like a box replacement is required unless there are any other ideas? Thanks!

Hi @nc2211 Try:-

Switch the Sky Q box off at the mains.
Hold down the standby button on the front of the box, then switch it back on at the mains.
Keep the standby button held down until you see alternating red and amber lights on the front of the box. This will start a software update.
If the lights don't show after 30 seconds, try the above steps again. Still not working? You'll need to replace your Sky Q box.

The update can take up to 15 minutes, then the box will turn off and go back to a single red light.
Your box will restart.
After the on screen messages have disappeared, press Home on your Sky Q remote to switch your box back on. If your Sky Q remote is not switching your Sky Q box on, after pressing Home, press the standby button on your Sky Q box and if your box turns on, there is a problem with your Sky Q remote.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
nc2211
Topic Author

Thank you @Quoman7 . yes, I've tried the software update twice, and the box just hangs with the fan in full tilt. Sadly, I guess it needs replacement as you mentioned.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@nc2211 wrote:

Hi @nc2211 

Work through the following link and it will lead to a conclusion.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-box-wont-turn-on
If you have to order a new Q box this usually means a doorstep swap.
Don’t forget to keep your viewing card from the failed box if you order a replacement.
Also if the box you are replacing is a 2TB there are two versions of power supply. One has a standard C7 (figure of eight) power lead socket in the back of the Q box. The other has a separate power supply. Although this still has the C7 power lead into the power supply there is a multi pin Din power socket in the Q box for connecting the power supply. Make sure that the replacement box has the power supply included if the Q box has the orange coded multi pin din socket in the back of the Q box. See below.

IMG_0432.png

nc2211
Topic Author

Got it. will do now. Thanks @oldfella 

nc2211
Topic Author

Am expecting a new box to arrive today for a swap with the failed one. After reading through the posts, I've asked for a V3 box to make sure it's the latest... Can anyone point me to the model number for those boxes so I can identify it as such?

Also, is it still 001 in settings to go into the engineer menu for the setup of the new box?

Thanks!

-NC

@nc2211 wrote:

Am expecting a new box to arrive today for a swap with the failed one. After reading through the posts, I've asked for a V3 box to make sure it's the latest... Can anyone point me to the model number for those boxes so I can identify it as such?

Also, is it still 001 in settings to go into the engineer menu for the setup of the new box?

Thanks!

-NC

Hi @nc2211 to set up your SKYQ box read the instructions in the link Here 

Even though you have requested a V3 box you will normally get a replacement box like for like.

Make sure that you remove the viewing card  from your old box before you give the box to the delivery driver.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@nc2211 wrote:

Thanks!

-NC

The Sky Q tab on this page will show you the hardware numbers of each available Sky Q box:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates 

32B2XX is the v3 model.

Also make sure when the courier brings your new box that you hand over the power cable - some types of box have different power connectors so it's not a straight swap of just the box. 

nc2211
Topic Author

Thanks @Quoman7. Can you help me with the model number for the V3 2TB box so I'll be able to identify it? I can refuse the swap if that isn't what arrives..

@nc2211 wrote:

Thanks @Quoman7. Can you help me with the model number for the V3 2TB box so I'll be able to identify it? I can refuse the swap if that isn't what arrives..

@nc2211 32B2XX is the v3 model.

nc2211
Topic Author

Thank you @Padam_Padam  and good point on the power cable, especially as the faulty one has a brick and the new one (if a V3) does not.

nc2211
Topic Author

Thanks @Quoman7 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion