Discussion topic: Need to turn off mesh sustem

This message was authored by RAV4driver This message was authored by: RAV4driver

Need to turn off mesh sustem

Hi
I have SkyQ (with 3 additional boxes) but as it is provided via a mesh system.

my internet provider (Gigaclear) have advised their mesh system provision is being overloaded or conflicted by my SkyQ and that SKY should either turn off the mesh or move to a different channel.
Help! How can  fix this?

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Need to turn off mesh sustem

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RAV4driver wrote:

Hi
I have SkyQ (with 3 additional boxes) but as it is provided via a mesh system.

my internet provider (Gigaclear) have advised their mesh system provision is being overloaded or conflicted by my SkyQ and that SKY should either turn off the mesh or move to a different channel.
Help! How can  fix this?

Hi @RAV4driver 

unless you are going to connect all your Q boxes by Ethernet you cannot turn off the Q mesh as it needed for connecting the main Q box to your router and for connecting the minis to the main Q box.

One solution is connect all your Q boxes by Ethernet to the nearest Gigaclear device. All Q boxes must be connected by the same method (Ethernet) and to the same Network.

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects immediately go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected immediately go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

RAV4driver
Topic Author
This message was authored by RAV4driver This message was authored by: RAV4driver

Re: Need to turn off mesh sustem

Thanks for this. I had a call back from an engineer yesterday afternoon , who almost exactly talked me through this same method. The only difference was turning my main box and then the one  existing Ethernet connected mini box from 2.4ghz to 5 ghz only, once that confirmed to repeat with the other 2 SkyQ mini boxes.  he also changed the settings from eco to on. 

However when running the diagnostic report the mini box upstairs was struggling so the engineer will still come on Tuesday morning  as it is likely I need a booster box between the main box and upstairs. 

The onsite engineer can also change the channel 36 to 44 if there is still a clash between the two meshes. 

I will update here after next weeks visit. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion