Discussion topic: How do I connect my sky Q to Alexa?

This message was authored by Christine+Reece This message was authored by: Christine+Reece

How do I connect my sky Q to Alexa?

I have no idea how to set up Sky Q to work with Alexa.

i open the Alexa app, then Skills, then your skills, then devices and ask to add new device. But that's as far as I get as there is now option for Sky. Any suggestions please?

All Replies

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

Re: How do I connect my sky Q to Alexa?

Sky Q doesn't support Alexa. If you've seen something that suggests it does, that's incorrect. 

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Christine+Reece wrote:

I have no idea how to set up Sky Q to work with Alexa.

i open the Alexa app, then Skills, then your skills, then devices and ask to add new device. But that's as far as I get as there is now option for Sky. Any suggestions please?

As far as I can see, there is no Alexa skill for Sky control

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by Scrunchy This message was authored by: Scrunchy

You can control sky q basics using Alexa. You need a SwitchBot Hub mini. A sky non-voice remote and change it to IR mode. Using the SwitchBot mobile app you can learn the Sky remote IR codes and use Alexa voice commands to control the Sky Q box. On, standby, mute, volume, channel up/down, home button etc.

The SwitchBot hub must be in line of sight to the Sky Q box.

I have an Alexa routine to turn on the TV, the Sky Q box and the attached Denon amplifier together. I just say "Alexa turn on Sky"

This message was authored by Camraom This message was authored by: Camraom

I don't know what the answer is here, but certainly until I had a new SkyQ box fitted this week Alexa controlled my TV and my SkyQ box together but it no longer does and I can't even see the sky Q box anymore.

This message was authored by Camraom This message was authored by: Camraom

In fact, my Remote doesn't even turn the TV off anymore.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Camraom wrote:

I don't know what the answer is here, but certainly until I had a new SkyQ box fitted this week Alexa controlled my TV and my SkyQ box together but it no longer does and I can't even see the sky Q box anymore.

It was probably doing it by controllling the TV and the TV used HDMI CEC to do some limited stuff (on/off basically) on the Sky box.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion