Discussion topic: Downloading BBC iplayer UHD onto Sky Q Box?

This message was authored by starscream84 This message was authored by: starscream84

Downloading BBC iplayer UHD onto Sky Q Box?

Hi everyone,

Is there something simple I can do so that I can download BBC programmes in UHD to my Sky Q box like I can with Sky programmes? 

So, this is what happens when I go to "All Formats" for The Lazarus Project (a Sky programme):

20231120_114541.jpeg

This is what I see when I go to "All Formats" for a Doctor Who episode that I know is in UHD on my Samsung iPlayer app, but NOT on Sky Q:

20231120_114420.jpeg

So this should be available in UHD, but obviously I can only get it in HD. 

The latest software installed on my Sky Q is: Q220.000.23.OOL (5lrke0s)

Any help would be much appreciated. As there's a lot of BBC stuff now in UHD, it would be good to download it to my Q box (I find the Samsung app a bit fiddly with re-winding!)

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

Re: Downloading BBC iplayer UHD onto Sky Q Box?

The BBC doesn't provide a UHD download option on Sky.

Depending on which version of Sky Q box you have you may be able to watch UHD by using the iPlayer app instead of the download option, but only the latest (3rd generation) boxes support iPlayer UHD.

starscream84
Topic Author
This message was authored by starscream84 This message was authored by: starscream84

"The BBC doesn't provide a UHD download option on Sky.

Depending on which version of Sky Q box you have you may be able to watch UHD by using the iPlayer app instead of the download option, but only the latest (3rd generation) boxes support iPlayer UHD."

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My hardware version is: 32B108. 

When I go into the app on Sky Q direct, there are no UHD banners, so I don't think mine supports it.

Have you got a 3rd generation box?

So, even if I got a 3rd gen, I still couldn't download any UHD BBC programmes, is that correct (just so that I'm understanding properly!)

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@starscream84 wrote:

So, even if I got a 3rd gen, I still couldn't download any UHD BBC programmes, is that correct

That's correct, and note that apps on Q don't 'download' anyway: they stream.

It's on-demand content from Sky which goes to the hard drive before playing, which is handy for slower internet connections as data can be brought in overnight for playback the next day.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

The BBC "catchup" on Q is not iPlayer.

You can stream UHD stuff on iPlayer on the latest Q box but not download it to watch later (I think this is true of iPlayer on most platforms, not sure about tablets)

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@starscream84 wrote:

"The BBC doesn't provide a UHD download option on Sky.

Depending on which version of Sky Q box you have you may be able to watch UHD by using the iPlayer app instead of the download option, but only the latest (3rd generation) boxes support iPlayer UHD."

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My hardware version is: 32B108. 

When I go into the app on Sky Q direct, there are no UHD banners, so I don't think mine supports it.

Have you got a 3rd generation box?

So, even if I got a 3rd gen, I still couldn't download any UHD BBC programmes, is that correct (just so that I'm understanding properly!)

hi @starscream84 

The others have confirmed that you can;t download from iPlayer but as I think you suspect your box doesn't support UHD on iPlayer. 

We have never really got to the bottom as to why not but only the 32B2xxx boxes support UHD in iPlayer. Your box (which I also have) does support UHD in the other apps such Disney+ & Netflix

Many of us here don't use the apps on SKY and we recommend using the apps on your TV as they are more likely to be optimised for your TV and may support features not available for the apps on SKY Q (e.g. Dolby Vision)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion