Discussion topic: Constantly getting HDCP Error when starting Sky Q

This message was authored by TheFuryZone This message was authored by: TheFuryZone

Constantly getting HDCP Error when starting Sky Q

When I start SKY Q, I sometimes see the error "This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen". My TV is a Sony KD 49XF7003. This only occurs sometimes when taking SKY Q out of standby for the first time. If I switch the TV off, take Sky Q back to standby and then start again, I can get it to work normally. I've had this issue ever since I've had SKY Q and it is frankly getting on my nerves now. A premium product like SKY Q shouldn't do this. I have no problems with much older TVs around the house when using SKY Q on Multiroom.

I have tried many different HDMI cables, including premium quality ones, however, it makes no difference. I have also tried completely powering down and restarting the box. I don't get this issue at all when I am not using SKY Q on the TV, i.e. using the TV's built-in apps. It is getting to the point where I am considering dumping SKY altogether as it’s so infuriating to have this issue on the main TV in the house, so some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Constantly getting HDCP Error when starting Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TheFuryZone wrote:

I don't get this issue at all when I am not using SKY Q on the TV, i.e. using the TV's built-in apps. 

On-set apps don't use HDCP at all: that's a protection technology specific to HDMI cable 'handshake' between what the specification calls a 'source' and a 'sink' device.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Updated the firmware on the TV?

It may be intrinsic with the TV of course - it seems the HDCP handshake has timing issues.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Tried a mini on that Sony to see if the same thing happens?

Is the Q connected direct to the TV or is there a sound device between?

TheFuryZone
Topic Author
This message was authored by TheFuryZone This message was authored by: TheFuryZone

Yes, tried that and the TV is up to date.

TheFuryZone
Topic Author

Yes the Sky Q box is connected direct to the TV not via sound bar/system. The Sony TV has had its firmware updated - happens automatically. I tried a new 1 meter ultra high speed 8k hdmi 2.1 cable but no difference. Also tried a complete power off of both TV and sky box, left for 5 mins and then started again. No joy, though have just done this once more to be sure. Not tried connecting mini to the Sony TV but will try - not sure what this will prove though. All other suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@TheFuryZone wrote:

Not tried connecting mini to the Sony TV but will try - not sure what this will prove though

That perhaps the main box does have a 'fault'.  (Convincing Sky to replace it may be a challenge and you will lose all recordings)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@TheFuryZone wrote:

Yes the Sky Q box is connected direct to the TV not via sound bar/system. The Sony TV has had its firmware updated - happens automatically. I tried a new 1 meter ultra high speed 8k hdmi 2.1 cable but no difference. Also tried a complete power off of both TV and sky box, left for 5 mins and then started again. No joy, though have just done this once more to be sure. Not tried connecting mini to the Sony TV but will try - not sure what this will prove though. All other suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Might suggest, if it also happens, that there's an issue with the TV. Not conclusively though.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

For what it's worth, I'd note that's a television model from 2018, but supposedly specified for HDCP2.3

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion