Discussion topic: Alternative to sky q

This message was authored by Forever+Customer This message was authored by: Forever+Customer

Re: Alternative to sky q

Leaning towards giving an Apple TV box a whirl.

This message was authored by Wolves12 This message was authored by: Wolves12

I too was in the same situation., sky reduced the cost by £5, to £41 per month for Sky Signiture. (£9 of that is HD!!)  Which will only creap back up next April by £2-3 anyway. 

After 20+ years... I took a leap of faith and so far, so good..

I moved to TV viewing through my Apple tv box. Picture quality is much better on the streaming sites and I feel in complete control on what I pay. NOW Tv does me and there are little deals popping up every month avoiding the Minimum terms clasues. I'm paying 6.99 for entertaiment and 6.00 for booster (non contract)..

My Broadband is middle of range and holds well with no glitches and i'm paying annually for Discovery Plus (£40) and dip in and out for Paramount at £7.

It's not everyones cup of tea, but it's certainly nice being in control and avoiding a 24 month contract....

I don't work for Sky, theses views are my own.

Thanks.

This message was authored by Forever+Customer This message was authored by: Forever+Customer

I'd have happily kept my Sky Q box for another few years if Sky had been willing to at least negotiate on price but they refused and there's no way I'm taking a 30-40% increase in a single year it's just not reasonable.  I had been a Sky customer for decades so much for loyalty or VIP status.

It's clear that Sky want to ditch their satellite TV overheads completely and go all IP so you end up paying for the broadband connection and they pocket more profit.  Looks like existing Sky Q customers will gradually get price bullied out in pursuance of this strategy.  Such a shame as I really liked the independance of dish TV and hybrid boxes were a good mix for when there are comms issues.

Well a foot shot for Sky with this customer as you did not make me feel wanted and now I'm gone and will shortly also take my entire family and all our mobile/sim contracts away to other providers.  Sad to have to do it but as Magnus Magnusson used to say "I've started so I'll finish".

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Forever+Customer wrote:

It's clear that Sky want to ditch their satellite TV overheads completely and go all IP so you end up paying for the broadband connection and they pocket more profit. 

You don't need Sky Broadband to make use of Sky Stream, any more than you do for Sky Q. Both will work with any service provider.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Forever+Customer wrote:

It's clear that Sky want to ditch their satellite TV overheads completely and go all IP 

If SES doesn't replace the trio of orbiting platforms at 28.2E before they run out of positioning propellant, Sky has very little choice about a technology shift.  Satellite television doesn't work very well if there are no satellites for all those dishes to point at.

I'd also note that Sky isn't a pioneering UK satellite television company any more, it's the European division of an American cable corporation.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

You've missed the point.  You pay for your broadband service.  It doesn't matter who the ISP is.  Point is Sky no longer have to pay for satellite transmission overheads once they've eradicated Sky Q.  You now bear a significant part of the cost of carrying their programmes into your house and their overheads are massively reduced.

That last post was in response to @Mark39  btw

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Forever+Customer wrote:

You now bear a significant part of the cost of carrying their programmes into your house and their overheads are massively reduced.

Which probably doesn't make up for the revenue lost in the almost complete collapse of the television advertising market and the migration of millions of users to individual streaming app services rather than 'television'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by KennyR This message was authored by: KennyR

Hi. Re that Manhattan T4-R recorder: Please could you tell me if it lets me record say ITV-X and skip past adverts? 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@KennyR wrote:

Hi. Re that Manhattan T4-R recorder: Please could you tell me if it lets me record say ITV-X and skip past adverts? 

No.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Hi. Re that Manhattan T4-R recorder: Please could you tell me if it lets me record say from an app like ITV-X and skip past adverts? 

This message was authored by Roger17 This message was authored by: Roger17

@KennyR You cant record off ITVx but you can fast forward adverts on programs you have recorded. What it does do is link to ITVx, I player etc for other programs in a series, much like box sets on Sky.

Thanks @Roger17. So on my Sky Box it basically can record off an app, for those series it highlights. Not possible on this box? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@KennyR wrote:

Thanks @Roger17. So on my Sky Box it basically can record off an app, for those series it highlights. Not possible on this box? 

@KennyR   no box that I know of records off an app 

SKY HD & SKY Q boxes record off the linear TV channels 

You can also download programmes from catch up  which may contain less adverts but this not the same as recording from an app & not all prgrammes available in an app such as ITVX are availble to download (probably less & less over time)

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@KennyR the broadcasters control the app and the stream - there's no legal way to 'record'.

Recording broadcasts are quite different to streaming.  (In theory streaming could be 'recorded' but the owner of the rights don't want that)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion