Discussion topic: Alternative to sky q

This message was authored by dardismagee This message was authored by: dardismagee

Alternative to sky q

Hi. I'm currently on the tv essentials package and broadband with sky. I have a sky q box. I'm paying £15 basically to record/pause tv. If I cancel I have to give the sky q box back to sky. 

Is there an alternative  box  so I'm not switching cables etc. A straight swap?

Thank u

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Alternative to sky q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dardismagee wrote:

Hi. I'm currently on the tv essentials package and broadband with sky. I have a sky q box. I'm paying £15 basically to record/pause tv. If I cancel I have to give the sky q box back to sky. 

Thank u

hi @dardismagee 

Yes a Freesat 4K box will work with the same set up

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@dardismagee wrote:

Thank u

Hi @dardismagee 

The latest Freesat 4K boxes will work with the Sky Dish and LNB.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/

This message was authored by Daniel.a04 This message was authored by: Daniel.a04

Hi @dardismagee ,

Freesat is a great alternative which works with the Sky dish, you can find more information here: https://www.freesat.co.uk/switching-is-easy . 

As you would be switching from Sky Q then your dish is likely to have a wideband LNB and you will be able to record three different channels while you watch another, or record four different channels while you watch a recording you made earlier (or any programme On Demand).

Freesat 4K boxes are available as recordable or non-recordable; the recordable sounds most suitable, as you are able to pause/rewind and record live TV, whereas the non-recordable box does not allow you to do either.

The Freesat 4k Recordable Box allows you to stream on demand content, record programmes (also using the Freesat app) and pause/rewind live TV.

The 4K Recordable box is available in 500GB (approx. 250 SD hours), 1TB (approx. 500 SD hours) and 2TB (approx. 1000 SD hours).

Regards,

Daniel.

-*-*-*-*-Not a Sky Employee-*-*-*-*-
If you found my answer helpful, click the like button!
This message was authored by MattHill This message was authored by: MattHill

How are you paying £15pm? I've literally just come off Chat with Sky rep who told me that Sky Signature is the lowest TV package I can have, at £35pm?

dardismagee
Topic Author
This message was authored by dardismagee This message was authored by: dardismagee

@MattHill sky don't like to tell you about this package. Its called tv essentials £15 a month. Basically I can still keep the q box and have access to all freeview channels and still b able to record pause rewind etc 

This message was authored by MattHill This message was authored by: MattHill

Wow, this is how they reward me for 22 years with Sky? Lying to me about what packages I can downgrade to?  Thanks for the info 🙂

This message was authored by GlamRock This message was authored by: GlamRock

They didn't offer up this info at all during my cancellation convo but the email after says:

"If you are cancelling your TV service and retaining Broadband, you do not need to return the Sky Q Hub or Booster."

Which is well worth knowing!

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@GlamRock wrote:

They didn't offer up this info at all during my cancellation convo but the email after says:

"If you are cancelling your TV service and retaining Broadband, you do not need to return the Sky Q Hub or Booster."

Which is well worth knowing!

They are not referencing the Sky Q satellite receiver, just the equipment associated with Sky broadband.

I am just another Sky customer!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion