Discussion topic: sky mobile swap problem

This message was authored by jon+chelle1 This message was authored by: jon+chelle1

sky mobile swap problem

Following a call from sky, I was pursuaded  to swap 2 phones for 2 new ones at the same cost as at present. Sent original phones back that were in pristine condition. Following this I was contacted to say both phones had 'additional damage ' and were reducing the value of each phone by £36, so I had to pay them am additional £14 for each phone and wasn't going to get a £20 credit for each as was originally ally informed.  To avoid the hassle of return and resetting 2 phones I basically had to accept  otherwise I'd be paying for 4 phones. This process is a scam by sky. And is obviously long standing.  I'd placed a complaint to sky but this does not help me. Up to this point I was impressed by sky mobile . Not any linger

Moderator note: Changed title to reflect topic more.

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: sky mobile swap is basically a scam

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You can fill in a complaint here:

https://www.sky.com/help/complaints

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by vanwise This message was authored by: vanwise

this happened to me too. The phone I sent back was pristine . I only used it for about a week , but it was so laggy I swapped over the sim to my old phone ! Wish I'd now sent it back within the 14 days and cancelled my contract !

This message was authored by Tristan+G This message was authored by: Tristan+G

I am going through the same process now. Sent the phone back in perfect condition only to be told it has reduced in value due to additional damage. Not happy and cannot  be bothered going through the hassle of trying to deal with customer support.

This message was authored by North+East28 This message was authored by: North+East28

Totally agree. Furious with Sky Mobile! Rang them to discuss TV/Broadband and was told I could upgrade my phone early. Was in a bit of a hurry so said no its OK, my current phone is perfectly fine, has nothing wrong with it.

The advisor sorts my original query then announces I can have the newest phone model for £12 a month less and asks what condition my phone is in. I tell him it has no cracks, scratches or technical issues and he confirms I can have this deal. I think why not then and agree.

Sky send the new phone, I swap over all my stuff and send the old one back. 

Now I receive an email saying I have lost £150 in trade in because of 'additional damage' and basically its going to cost me £20 a month more than I was paying!!!!! Additional damage????? Its in perfect condition for an 18 month old phone!

I will be returning it but what a needless hassle. Do not agree to this early upgrade its a scam!

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

You can fill in a complaint here:

https://www.sky.com/help/complaints

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by Sarahofwales This message was authored by: Sarahofwales

The same happened with my phone. Was nothing wrong with it, had had a screen protector and case the whole time, not a mark on it. However sky said it was damaged and halved its value 😞 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Did you challenge Sky over this by asking them to provide photos of the "damage" ?

jon+chelle1
Topic Author
This message was authored by jon+chelle1 This message was authored by: jon+chelle1

Regarding challenging the alleged damage with sky, they alleged screen burn   and other electronic damage which was also untrue and was on neither of my 2 phones. This scam is obviously still ongoing even now. Beware!

This message was authored by MJH1948 This message was authored by: MJH1948

I personally do not like to use the word scam but exactly the same scenario happened to me today.

I swapped my iPhone 11 to a new iPhone 13 last weekend. 

My 'old' phone as only 17months old but I didn't like the yellow!!  

They offered me £211 but then after receiving my phone emailed today to say this is reduced this by 50% "due to additional damage".  

Reluctantly I had the accept  this coz I cannot financially afford to keep two contracts going or to pay up the balance owing on the old contract. The Sky Mobile Team  know this is the case with most folk.

I don't feel scammed by Sky but extremely let down and very disappointed.  I did not lie when I said my phone was in perfect condition because that was the honest truth.  There was no damage at all. 

For me this has been a learning curve. Firstly do not use the swap scheme coz once they have your phone the predicted tradein figure will change. At that point you are committed.
Only upgrade the phone when the contract is completed.

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @MJH1948  what did they say when you queried the damage ? Did you ask for proof of the damage ?

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
jon+chelle1
Topic Author

I did indeed query alleged damage. They said they referred back to their technician who basically asserted an 18 month old phone will have screen burn. This was patently unobservable, but offered to send back and cancel whole deal which at that stage was going to be a serious hassle. My point was that I had been quoted a trade in value of an 18m old phone which they then reduced the value of because it was an 18m old phone . Ridiculous and extremely misleading. I still remain furious at this underhand practice .

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

There are many examples on this forum @jon+chelle1  where if you press them they give you the full valuation. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by skypuffy This message was authored by: skypuffy

Hi @MJH1948 and @jon+chelle1 

As @63johnw mentioned, there are a number of posts in the forum addressing the swap issues with Sky.

I currently have a swap in progress in which Sky has confirmed my swap value and agreement signed. I'm currently using a S20 5G, and like you, I got a screen protector on the screen, using a case and the device is in immaculate condition for what is now a 2 year old phone.

So far, I've had no bad experiences with the swap process. However, since there are clearly concerning matters with the process now, once I've received my new phone, I'll be calling Sky on the day I'll be returning my old device to address these concerns and stating that I'll be taking pictures of my current phone as a backup (which I always do when I swap) in case any "excuses" are made.

I think that is the way to go now when considering using Sky's swap process. Something doesn't add up here? Sky should be reviewing previous customer swaps from their accounts and have a record of all swaps processed.

Why would you send a "half-baked device" knowing fully well you kept it in "mint condition" and would want the full swap value towards your new phone?   

Sky Customer for 18 years
Sky V.I.P. Diamond
This message was authored by Gordonuks This message was authored by: Gordonuks

Sky don't handle the swap. Ingram Micro are responsible for the swap. For them the whole swap arrangement is ideal. As they get a huge supply of phones and sell them up on their Recycle site to make a profit.

I'd never use the swap scheme or return a phone for service under a Sky Mobile contract. 

This message was authored by skypuffy This message was authored by: skypuffy

@Gordonuks - I never had a problem with the swap process but will be covering my back by taking pictures and a video on my current swap in the next couple of weeks and calling Sky to clarify and confirm.

I've always gone to Samsung directly for any repairs or faults because of their 2 year warranty on smartphones.

Sky Customer for 18 years
Sky V.I.P. Diamond

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion