Discussion topic: Wifi Calling Issues

This message was authored by adamhhh This message was authored by: adamhhh

Re: Wifi Calling Issues

That looks promising. 

Beofre I moved I checked all the main companies and spoke to Customer Services. Talkmobile were one who said 'no, we don't'. Hopefully that they do now.

They do have some good SIM only contract deals.  

This message was authored by Bayern+Large This message was authored by: Bayern+Large

@adamhhh When did you switch? Hopefully the wifi calling situation with Talkmobile has changed since then. I guess I'll see when it arrives...

This message was authored by adamhhh This message was authored by: adamhhh

I swithced from Sky to Asda in March/April. 

Wifi worked out-of-the-box, calls and SMS. Asda are on Vodafone.

It's no longer an issue. i use the phone, it works. 

This message was authored by Bayern+Large This message was authored by: Bayern+Large

@adamhhh Good to know. If Talkmobile doesn't work out, I'll give Asda a go.

This message was authored by JenJen19 This message was authored by: JenJen19

Also a good tip, when I moved to Vodafone, as I wanted to change provider as fast as possible I requested an ESim so as soon as I ordered it it went straight on my phone without having to wait for a physical sim card. My number should be changing over shortly too so instead of waiting days to change (I'm impatient, especially as I use my phone a lot) I thought an Esim would be better and it is much easier 😁

I've never heard of that before. I've ordered my physical SIM card now and can wait a few days until it arrives to try it. I like the idea of testing it seperately without interrupting my Sky account in any way until I know it works. If it doesn't, I'll just cancel and try another provider.

Ideally I want 5G and EU roaming included (as well as decent wifi calling and texts, of course!)

@Bayern+Large I have just received a message about my old phone number being moved over and I've made one call using it and it is crystal clear. The issue was definitely Sky Mobile unfortunately 😕 I have sent my phone for repair 3 times. Anyway at least we all know what is causing the problem now. It is just a shame for those who are still in contract and a shame for Sky as I did like being with them.

This message was authored by SPadman This message was authored by: SPadman

The problems with Sky Wifi calls continue. Terrible that Sky are not doing anything about it. I was on Vodafone and it worked fine. Now on Sky and the calls start deteriorating after a minute or so, as the chat thread states. I am running iOS 15.6 (latest) and the problem happens both at home and at work (not a router issue). 

This message was authored by ginger5693 This message was authored by: ginger5693

I was sent this and gave up :

Description of the issue (E.G Calls droppings, text messages failing, poor call quality) :

Location of the issue: (house number/street/postcode)
Coverage type affected: 2G/3G/4G/5G?
Indoor/Outdoor/Both?:

Mobile Number(s) Affected:
Handset(s) Make/Model:
How long has the issue been happening (DD/MM/YY)?:
Has the issue always been happening at this location?:
What was the service like before the issue?:
How many bars of service are displayed on the device.
Have you tested this across the 2G, 3G, 4G or 5 network?:
When a call drops, can you hear the call quality getting worse and/or any Network tones?:
Is there a pattern to the issue? Does it get worse at certain times etc?:
How far do you have to travel before the service works?:

What were the results when you tested your Sky Mobile SIMI in a different handset:

Lastly, but one of the most important things we need to investigate it 3 failed examples within the last 72 hours. We require the number which was called, the date and time and what happens when you try and ring or what happens during the call.

This message was authored by ginger5693 This message was authored by: ginger5693

I went back to them and said half the info they wanted was irrelevant to my complaint. 

I then got a response by them saying "great news" we have identified the issue as being a mast in your area and they were working on fixing it.

Funnily enough, I've moved 570 miles away to the other end of the country and have the same issue....those pesky masts are very far reaching....

Roll on January when I will be cancelling the airtime contract and going back to Vodafone! 

@ginger5693  They told me that about the masts too. I changed to Vodafone and no issues with calling or WiFi calling. Sorry you have to wait. 

@ginger5693 I just changed all my family's sim-only deals to Talk Mobile (owned by Vodafone). WiFi calling and texting work perfectly and they include roaming in Europe.

A couple of our 4 numbers were still in contract (until January) but Sky we're great about us breaking without penalty. Fair enough, as they weren't delivering the promised service, as WiFi calling didn't work properly. Still, it was good that they made it easy.

I guess it might help that they were sim-only deals, so low value without a handset to pay off. Also, I'm a Sky TV and broadband customer which might also have led them to trying to keep me happy(?)

In any case, you could try asking them to release you from your contract early, without penalty and see what they say. 

Good luck

This message was authored by leeanders This message was authored by: leeanders

i could not take it anymore, so paid 25 quid early to leave,  put bt sim in, tried wifi call, works perfectly. no issues, no dropped call, no interference, no gradual loss in quality, happy now  

This message was authored by MrTigger81 This message was authored by: MrTigger81

Same problem here but it gradually starts to diminish after about 5 minutes on average. I didn't have this issue with EE. I am with sky broadband aswell so compatibility wise I would have thought this is the ultimate solution. I have Samsung Note 20 and the indoor signal is rubbish but Sky's coverage checker says its good. I feel deceived. 

This message was authored by Mad1299 This message was authored by: Mad1299

Switched to a BT sim and everything works perfectly both on Wi-Fi calling and generally a better signal. How on earth Sky can make THE SAME NETWORK useless for Wi-Fi calling is beyond me. 

I would suggest switching networks if you rely on Wi-Fi calling and can afford to although I was out of contract and the cost is the same. Others have said that Sky allowed them to break contract as they are not delivering the service. 

About to change my daughters sim

now. 

Sorry @Sky, you bought this on yourselves. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion