Discussion topic: Wifi Calling Issues

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Re: Wifi Calling Issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @ginger5693  just so you know, the minimum term for your sim/plan is twelve months, after which you can cancel penalty free and just continue paying for your handset. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by ginger5693 This message was authored by: ginger5693

Great to know! Thankyou!! 

This message was authored by Bayern+Large This message was authored by: Bayern+Large

I'm having the same issue - clear wifi calling for 1-2 mins, then crackly to the point of being unusable.

I'm using an iPhone 13 Pro with all the latest software and have Sky broadband. There's no problem with the  handset, or my wifi network and WhatsApp calls are crystal clear.

Sky suggested updating network settings and a new SIM, but neither worked.

Someone else here mentioned 5G - I've been told that activating this might be causing the problem. I've now switched it off, but Sky told me that I need to wait until my next account month changeover before it will be switched off at their end. That's in a couple of weeks time, so I'll put up with it until then and see if it improves. I'm not holding out much hope though. And anyway, having bought an expensive 5G phone, I'd like to be able to use it!

It's a shame as wifi calling worked well until a couple of months ago. Previously I had O2 which was fine for wifi calls, but I didn't get texts through it. Odd as Sky uses O2's network...(?)

Has anyone else tried the switching off 5G 'fix' with any success?

This message was authored by JenJen19 This message was authored by: JenJen19

@Bayern+Large Hi, yes I haven't had my 5G on for a long while as apparently if you have it on the lowest it boosts signal. I always used WiFi calling on my old phone due to the lack of signal however since March I have had this WiFi calling issue, working for 1-2 mins and then going crackly and making it impossible to understand what someone is saying (that's when I'm calling a landline or a mobile) but they can hear me perfectly fine. I've been between Sky and Samsung and it is definitely Sky I've found now. Sky have said they're working on it which they also said about the Network but I've has signal problems since being with Sky and they tend to say it about everything so it's unlikely we will get a fix but I am going to complain as I we are paying for a service but not receiving a service. I can't call people and that's really what a phone is for and I have a volunteer counselling job over the phone and cannot understand people especially if they're crying and it is really awful to ask someone to repeat what they're saying and even if they do repeat it I can't understand them. It's just so wrong. 

This message was authored by Bayern+Large This message was authored by: Bayern+Large

Hi @JenJen19,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Your reply rather suggests that my wifi calling won't improve when my 5G is deactivasted by Sky at the end of my current monthly billing period.

I think my issue has been since around March too, and it sounds the same for others, so something must have happened with Sky's network then. I'm not holding my breath for a solution anytime soon.

Wierdly, I tried a wifi calling call using my wife's older iPhone (mine is a 13 Pro, hers is an XS) and it seemed OK (the whole family have Sky mobile).

What kind of phone do you have and have you tried using the same network at your house with a different phone?

@Bayern+Large I have an S22 Ultra. It worked up until I had this new phone. I had a S20 Ultra before and no issues

@JenJen19 

So in both our cases at least, the problem seems to be related to newer phones...

Not that that's much help!

@Bayern+Large Yes and as of today I've moved over to Vodafone. I've used the WiFi calling for 2 calls and absolutely amazing quality. Actually better than calling over WhatsApp. I called Sky and said I'm paying for a service but not receiving said service and they said although I have the phone with them my Sim is actually out of contract now and they said they're unable to solve the issue other than issue a new Sim which ive not long had so I said I'd change provider. Albeit it's slightly more than I was paying £2.50 more per month but for my stress level to be reduced it's priceless. Sorry I couldn't be more help but it's unlikely you will get the problem fixed via Sky 😪

@JenJen19 Glad you've resolved your situation - even though it meant switching. I fear I'm going to need to do the same.

Do you receive text messages at home when you're out of reception with Vodafone as well as having clear calls? I assume they are both routed through wifi.

The reason I switched to Sky Mobile from O2 was that I couldn't get texts at home. Wierdly, it works with Sky, even though they use O2's network. I'd want to be sure it would work with a new provider before switching.

This message was authored by adamhhh This message was authored by: adamhhh

Hi

I also had issues and swithced. Yes you will get textx over wifi - Only O2 "were'nt able" to manage to do this....

I use Asda mobile now they piggy back (MVNO) off the Vodafone network  and call qality and text all good. 

@Bayern+Large I am not sure yet as my old number is waiting to be transferred over and I've not given anyone my new number officially for that reason. I will let you know but it should go through wifi, I did also receive texts through Sky when connected to WiFi calling. Fingers crossed I still will

Good luck @JenJen19 - I hope O2 have sorted out their ability to deliver texts via wifi calling - although the previous reply suggests they might not have done.

I've just ordered a new SIM from Talkmobile, who use the Vodafone network. I'll test it before moving my number over and cancelling my Sky account. Shame, because I was very happy with Sky Mobile otherwise.

I wonder how many customers they've lost over this? I guess it might be out of their hands - could be an O2 network issue I suppose...?

Unless something has changed recently Talkmobile DON'T have wifi calling. 

This is out-of-date, but is a good start.

https://www.4g.co.uk/news/ee-o2-three-and-vodafone-which-networks-offer-wi-fi-calling/

Asda do have wifi calling - since march, or so. 

Giffgaff - NO

Virgin - yes

Thanks for the warning. I checked and found this on their website. But the proof will be in testing it when the SIM arrives. I won't be switching numbers or cancelling my Sky account until I know it works.

BayernLarge_0-1658307665043.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion