Discussion topic: Switching number from Sky sim to another Sky Sim

This message was authored by Mossley+Chris This message was authored by: Mossley+Chris

Switching number from Sky sim to another Sky Sim

Hope someone can help, I remember seeing something on here that you can't move a number from one sky sim to another sky sim

Reason I am asking is that my current phone is 3 years old and I have ordered a new phone to replace it, with the intention of just moving current sim into new phone

However, when ordering the phone I got the option of having a 100mb sim for free, so as it was free I accepted it. I have around 150GB of rolling data, so I am now thinking that if my current number was attached to the 100mb sim I could save £6 per month (I am on the 2GB plan) by using my rolled over data and cancel the 2GB data plan

When I have used up the rolled over data I can increase the plan back to the 2GB plan

Would that work, and how would I go about doing the changeover?

TIA

Best Answers
This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw Answer

Re: Switching number from Sky sim to another Sky Sim

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mossley+Chris wrote:

Hi @63johnw 

Thanks for this reply

Is this fairly easy to do? I am a bit of an old codger lol and don't want to try anything too complicated

It should be @Mossley+Chris  but I can't guarantee all will go smoothly, also if the 100 m sim isn't active on the account when you port the other number that would close the account and you would lose all your piggybank data. So be aware if the risks if you decide to go down that route. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @Mossley+Chris  you are correct you can't port from one sky sim to another. The only way to do what you want is activate the 100m sim when it arrives. Get a PAC from sky for your existing sim and port to another network on PAYG. Then once that's completed get a PAC for that sim and port the number back to sky on the 100m sim. 

Mossley+Chris
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mossley+Chris This message was authored by: Mossley+Chris

Hi @63johnw 

Thanks for this reply

Is this fairly easy to do? I am a bit of an old codger lol and don't want to try anything too complicated

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw Answer

@Mossley+Chris wrote:

Hi @63johnw 

Thanks for this reply

It should be @Mossley+Chris  but I can't guarantee all will go smoothly, also if the 100 m sim isn't active on the account when you port the other number that would close the account and you would lose all your piggybank data. So be aware if the risks if you decide to go down that route. 

Mossley+Chris
Topic Author

Thanks for your help @63johnw 

Might give it a go, not much use for the rolled data at the moment other than the possibility of saving some money

This message was authored by Rachlipstick This message was authored by: Rachlipstick

Hi,

did this work as in the same position. Want to take advantage of the discounted sims at present but can't get the offer on upgrading current sim... so might buy a new sim and transfer across via PAC?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Rachlipstick wrote:

so might buy a new sim and transfer across via PAC?

@Rachlipstick 

It isn't possible to transfer a nunber from within the same network so you can't do this from a Sky sim to a Sky sim. The only way around it would be to transfer to a PAYG network then back to Sky.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by PHG This message was authored by: PHG

Stop don't do it 

I tried this on advice from sky tech 3 weeks ago  ported number to Asda sim and then back to old sky  account  lost all piggy credits 

and now they can't port the number  they keep saying there's an error on file!  And then it has t ported from Asda sim. PAC which is **bleep** it has   As the number is now dead 

I was getting calls on it from Asda connection . They never update me   I have to call them  and 45 min on line they have no idea 

so I'm going to have to sue them now as it's my business number 

I've cancelled all my services as they repudiated the contract 

they are so unprofessional   It's sad as I  joined sky when it first started out - was superb. But this is really unacceptable losing my number and not being accountable  or apoligectic which is the same when their network collapsed last year for a day and in January  nothing not excuse or advice.  Its the end unaccrptable. Especially when they don't even realise that uk law is that you have a right to be transferred to a uk call centre now they out source to India .  Good luck 

This message was authored by PHG This message was authored by: PHG

No this is a disasterous advice 

as sky techs put an error and they delay or conveniently lose your number   I was advised to do this by sky and it's three weeks they just don't care about the face that it was my business number   They have been horrendously unprofessional and customer services never respond   So if you want to keep your number change to another provider.  I did so that I could share the piggy credits with my family !

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@PHG wrote:

so I'm going to have to sue them now as it's my business number 

Be aware that Sky mobile is not a business service.  Anyway, mobile numbers are never 'owned' by anyone other than the networks.

You may fall at the first hurdle as you were in breach of effectively the first term, "Sky Mobile is a service
for the personal use of UK consumers only."

Also, liabilities are expressly excluded, "...any loss of business, contracts, profits, anticipated savings, reputation, or revenue."

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion